1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plows not allowed to be shipped out of territory

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by alldayrj, Aug 26, 2015.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like I'm taking a road trip soon or switching plow brands.
    I literally live on an island and refuse to pay what they want to charge here just because they can. I contacted a great out of state dealer I've used in the past for another order of plows and was informed they can no longer ship out of state to me! This is nuts. Anyone else heard this? What are you doing about it? Can i buy a plow crate online somewhere?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How much would you be saving by having it shipped to instead of just buying one by you? Looks like there are 10 dealers near you.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. alldayrj

Define near.
    I saved over 30% when i bought two pushers and a sander and that includes the truck freight

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Just one more benefit of having your favorite company bought out by a conglomerate. It's never good when a family company you like gets bought out by an outfit that's driven by share price.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^^

You must be talking about Grandview Enterprises LLC out of Buffalo New York.

6. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I don't really think it's about share price. If a plow is sold it doesn't matter if it's shipped from VA or bought local. The shares only see a plow unit sold.

I think it's more about the dealer/distributor/consumer.

Consumer wants best price and warranties.

Dealer doesn't want to be under cut and forced to service something it didn't sell/assemble.

Distributor wants to meet quotas which is hard if plows are shipped into your territory, keep warranty claims down (end user assembly is not always ideal), and keep dealers happy.

In theory having enough dealers in a area with different brands also in play should keep pricing within reason. Consumers should get good service from the selling dealer or they will start shopping at another dealer or change brands. The dealer complaints should be handled. The distributor should be able to control the territory and dealer network better.

Personally I'd really like to see the distributor who can sell retail and their sub dealer network go away. Having a distributor who can't sell retail and a dealer network (like most pwr equipment) should be their end goal.

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

It's part of living where you live. Just as you charge higher prices, dealers local to you will charge higher as well.

If you don't like it, move somewhere where the cost of living is lower.

If I were a dealer that were in your area, I'd refuse to do warranty service on equipment not purchased locally just to save money.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but until you've been on the dealer end you wouldn't understand.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I checked on the Boss website and the has some on the island and off.Not sure on miles from you.

9. jhenderson9196

The company is driven by share price. Their policies are their own choice. I'm saying a small, family run co is always preferable to do business with. The new co doesnt want a few high volume dealers setting the price, and this is how they will accomplish that goal. I do a lot of business with a saw shop about 50 miles from me. All the other dealers hate him because he undercuts their prices. He makes a real good living. Buys oil by the trailer load, saw chain by the pallet, and saws by the hundred. It's called the free market. Stihl wanted him to become a dealer but he refused when they told him they set the price he had to charge.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

They're trying to help protect their dealer network just as much as anything. Without a good dealer network, the product isn't worth a ****.

Think about it from another point of view: You charge 100 dollars per hour for snow removal. Joe Blow from 3 towns over comes in and takes all your clients at 60 dollars per hour. Suddenly you have no work and Joe Blow put you out of business. Same principle, just tables turned. Except in that case, it's a service and not a product.

I bet every time you have a warranty claim on that plow you bought out of state to save money on it goes to your local dealer, right? What if that local dealer isn't there anymore because too many people bought from 3 states away because they could save some money. Now you have to drive another half hour to a different dealer for warranty work. Time is money in the snow industry.

Suddenly the "great deal" isn't so great now is it?

11. jhenderson9196

What if that local dealer is horning me? Should I be forced to do business with him anyway? I understand your point. It's why I try to do business with local companies whenever I can. But I've also experienced having a family owned manufacturer being bought out by a multinational company. Replacement parts for my Gafner logging equipment increased 75% when Valmet bought them out. Good for the Gafner family, bad for everyone who purchased one of their machines because it was a small family owned co. The level of service from an increased dealer network never materialized but my wallet suffered. Same with my insurance co and several other entities I've dealt with. The saw shop I deal with gives great service. That's why I buy from him. If he didn't, I'd buy one of the mail order outfits. The OP wasn't talking nickels and dimes. 30% is real money. As far as someone undercutting me? It goes on all the time. I have to bid on every logging job I do. I get 1 in 10 if I'm lucky. That's just business.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Shouldn't free enterprise and the capitalist attitude win.
    If he can sell it for a cheaper price and outsell thus making more $$ and selling more product why shouldn't he..
    I know fewer plows at a higher price.......

like cheaper plowing , maybe it's from low overhead = lower prices while making a profit,
    Scewr the over priced service....

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  13. 2low

2low Member

I'm in canada and our local dealer charges $7000 usd for a steel v blade where I can buy it firm a USA dealer for $4000 usd

14. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

boss

Been doing business with a company and bought at least 5 new plowsw with them they tell me they cant sell anything 2 me so I picked up the phone and found somebody a couple dollars more but not my local boss raper.prsport

15. alldayrj

These plows come with a one year warranty, like that really helps me out. These guys are always so backed up I've always done all work myself anyway so take that point off the table. Got parts shipped from VA AND DELIVERED BEFORE THE LOCAL GUYS EVEN CALLED ME BACK WITH A PRICE. Their tech talked me through replacing the A frame over the phone as well as swapping out the wrong gear oil.

I bought a new ford truck with 2 years free oil changes. Guess what, i can go to any dealer and they service the truck with a smile on their face because theres ten of them on this island.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can buy from any dealer you want. Just drive to the dealer you want to purchase from, buy plow, load in truck, drive home, simple. You can get the plow at the price you want, save on freight cost but will have to pay any local taxes.

17. jhenderson9196

Shipping is almost always cheaper than pick up. I don't want to drive 8 hrs one way when it can go on a truck and be dropped at my shop. This policy doesn't favor the end purchaser, which over time will hurt the co.

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Is this something new with BoSS?

I've never heard of this problem before

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What do y'all think about NSP's?

Taking local money out of the area and all............

20. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

It doesn't apply if they benefit from it.

I bet someone in VA could make a couple bucks buying plows from esi, shipping them all over. Send him money, pick up plow, and bring it to a trucking center for $200.