1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plows cone off the ground at the crest of an incline

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by PLOWTRUCK, Jan 7, 2014.

1. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

So this is my first full year plowing with a Boss Plow. I have a 9 foot super duty on a gmc 3500 hd dump truck. I bought the truck last year with the plow already mounted on it from a dealer. I love the plow except for this one issue. When you are going up an incline and get to the crest of the incline the plow comes off the ground until the truck levels out. I am assuming this is because there is no more downward stroke left in the piston. Is there anyway to remedy this? Sorry if this has been covered already. Thanks for the help.

2. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

Lengthen the chain a little and see what it does...not to familiar with Boss but my western has a "float" position, and if I don't have it in float it will do the same thing...

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Bahahahaha.....didnt you read, his piston is limiting out, but I agree with yea, should bought a western!

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a straight blade? I assume it is.

5. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Straight blade and like I said plow was already on the truck got a great deal.

6. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Just double checking that you have it in float not just lowered until it hits the ground. i am assuming you do because you are aware that the piston might not have enough stroke but just wanted to check.

7. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Thanks I am going to check it out tomorrow. Just not real familiar with boss plows. Always have had fishers and snow ways.

8. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

My 8' does it too. Really irritates me. My driveway has a slight crest and when plowing it, it leaves a 4-5ft area untouched.

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Yes make sure you have it in float. I have never had that problem and I have some really hilly bumpy ones to plow. When I push it over a drop off I can not even see it.

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Happens to my V plow when my salter is full. It will only travel down so far.

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Used to happen on my brother's driveway - sloped up then flattened out by the garage. My mvp would lift up and miss some of the snow at the crest. Changing the chain lenght didn't help much. Only solution was to turn around and plow down to get that area.

12. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

I always plow in float. Still happens

And to those saying adjust the chain... Kinda hard to adjust one on a chainless system!!!

13. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

So tried it and it looks like this is for sure the case. Pretty poor design if you ask me. I really like the plow otherwise.

14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Turn around and push it the otherway?
    Must be a really steep driveway. I have never had that problem but I would not go back to a chain plow! Is the plow frame mounted at the correct hight on the truck?

15. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Chains are for motorcycles...

16. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

If you have a push button controller, be sure it glows RED to signify it's truly in float.it requires a double tap or a 2 second push. If it's green it's in down but not float. I can't tell you how many times per storm I thought my VXT was in float when in reality it was just down.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  17. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Is your cutting edge worn low? Ive never had that problem either. I think the measurement for the mount is 15 1/2" to the hole in the mount

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  18. mega10cab

mega10cab Senior Member

Can't speak for others, but I don't push unless my controler is red, and I've only plowed 1 storm with my brand new plow so my edge is fine. My driveway has a pretty decent incline then flattens out at the top. It lifts off the ground for a few feet. No matter what directing I plow. Only complaint about it. Otherwise I love this plow. I definitely need a snow deflector though. Trying to locate a cheaper version then boss brand though.

19. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I have it to happen also on what I call messed up grades. Element of the beast, we don't live in a perfect world but I wouldn't have anything but a Boss. My old Meyer years ago wouldn't do that due to a chain system but than it always broke down too. Name your poison!

20. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I've been dealing with this BOSS flaw for years ... I have a lot of areas on my route where the little "hills" get bigger and bigger through the winter because the cutting edge won't stay on the ground and clear the snow when you crest the hill ... so it builds up more & more over the winter. I even looked into having a custom telescopic cylinder fabricated to solve this issue but waaay to much money for a one-off. BOSS could easily solve this issue if they wanted ... with a telescopic cylinder (float position only) but their biggest market is obviously lot pushers and they don't normally have to deal with this complaint.
    In some areas for me it's so bad I have to get out and grab the shovel and don't see this changing anytime soon, lol.