1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by d4c50, Nov 7, 2008.

1. d4c50

d4c50 Junior Member
    from ohio

I posted this a couple of nites ago on my first posting on this site under New Plow and didn't get much feedback so I thought I would do new post to get your thoughts on what I'am going to do. After reading your responses to my question I seen where everyone seemed to have high regard for the Boss Plow so I have signed a P/O for a 8'2" V plow to be installed next Thursday.Now my latest question for you, My truck is a 2000 Ford F250 SD/CC/SB With the 7.3 diesel that I bought new and it has the snow plow prep package. On the Boss web site for this truck it calls for the 7'6" V plow but the dealer tells me everyone uses the 8'2" V with no problems. I don't want to overload the front axle. What do you guys think? There is only $100.00 difference between the two. My big lot always has alot of cars in it that I have to plow between to get the snow to the curb. Also what do you Boss users keep on hand for those in the middle of the nite break downs besides a hose and oil? This dealer is a couple of hrs. away from me so I wanted to get everything I my need. What about the hand held controller verses the joy stick? I still have have time to change my mind on the size and controller.
    Thanks,
    d4c50

2. soc

soc Junior Member
    from ny

I have a 2006 F250 diesel and put the 8'2 on - think the 7'6 wouldn't quite clear the wheelpath especially in scoop position - I also added a set of timbrens to help out the front suspension. I don't think theres a lot of weight differance between the 2 plows ??????

3. capnsac

capnsac Member

Whats the sticker say about the front GAWR? There are two configuartions for the F-350 6.0 diesels, one is 5,600 and the other is 6,000lbs. I'm not sure if there is a significant difference between the f-250 and f-350 front end, I was always under the assumption that the rear end is what had the difference. You know what they say about assuming tho ;). There's a sticker on the front drivers side door with this little bit of info. Check that and let us know.

Capn

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow

ussmileyflagi think the biggest thing the dealer is worried on the front Axel is that after a night of plowing 6 guys jump in and get pizza ,or you haul around 6 guys all the time wile you plow ( not!!!) . just go with the 8'2" you will be happier , they come off fast so don't leave it on when not needed . just keep a extra set of angle hose's 1 lift hose some oil and wrenches to change hoses if your out ,and not near the shop . they make a nice carry strap to transport the plow if broke down .

5. capnsac

capnsac Member

mmmmmmmmmm pizza!!

6. d4c50

d4c50 Junior Member
    from ohio

This truck has a 5,200 front axle GVW.
    Thanks,
    d4c50

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

8. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Ford didn't offer the snow plow package with the 7.3 due to the weight of the motor and the front axle rating.....probably why Boss doesn't give the 7.3 option when you use the plow selection page.

I'm guessing that if you were to go to a scale that the front axle will weigh in around 4600-4900lbs in stock form for a CC SWB with the 7.3.

Of course, that doesn't mean that guys don't plow with them. I've seen a couple of Western Wide Outs on them locally which aren't exactly light.

As for parts, I keep a hose, fluid, spring, turnbuckle and a solenoid.
    I always have ratchet straps in the truck.

I do agree that you'd need the 8'2" for the size of the truck.

I'd recommend upgrading to x-code springs from the dealer (springs are rated for 6000lbs)....it'll raise the front of the truck a little bit as well.
    Or timbrens as mentioned or air bags.

I run a 9'2" V XT on my 07 6.0PSD SC LWB with a 6000lb rated axle and should weigh around 5700-5800 lbs at the front axle with the plow. Empty with no plow bracket (prior to me choosing a plow) it weighed in at 47xxlbs at the front axle. 79xxlbs total for the truck at the time w/o the plow.

9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I agree with DC,

Get the 8 footer, the 7 footer is too small, the 8 footer is barely wide enough. If i were to do it all over, i would have gotten the 9 footer.

As for extra parts, ITS A BOSS! LOL All I carry is a solenoid and a quart of fluid. Mine is 2 seasons old now and it hasnt skipped a beat. maybe when im on season 5 or 6 ill start to carry some other parts.

As for a controller, I started with the hand held and disliked it alot. I then got the joystick and like it alot better. its a bit big but its always in the same place and easy to use after a few storms.

GL!

10. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I agree with Doug on the Joystick.

My dealer had both the hand held and joystick in stock and I can see why they say 9 out of every 10 Vs that they sell have the joystick.
    Easier to use, IMO.

Waiting to mount my pedestal mount until my 08 SD center console comes in.

11. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

Yeah, Go with the 8'2". Your truck wont have a problem. As for parts i have yet to break down with my boss. but good idea to have a socket set for anything, oil, 1 of each line and one spring. I have always run the joystick but this year when i got my 9'2" they gave me a handheld for free so i've been tryin to get used to it. I have a back up joystick in case i dont like it.

Also a good idea is to keep an extra controller around. a few years ago i blew a diode in my joystick. It took me 5 hours of electrical troubleshooting to figure out which one. Got one from radio shack and re soldered it. Pain in the @$$ but the $.80 cents/ diode was better than 300 for the controller.

12. d4c50

d4c50 Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks to all for the input. I had the 8'2" Plow installed last week and after playing around with both controllers for a while I also went with the joystick. This thing looks huge on the truck.I think this thing is going to take some getting use to after using a power angle plow for 30 years. Also to DCSpecial in 2000 Ford offered the Prep package for the 1st time for the 7.3 or at least I paid for it. I'll try to find my invoice to be sure.
    Thanks,
    d4c50

13. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I could be wrong.

If you had the snow plow package on the sticker that's on the driver's side door look under where it lists "SPR". Should be a 2 letter code.

If you have the snow plow package the first letter will be X (x-code front springs rated at 6000lbs).
    I'm guessing that your first letter of the code will be V (v-codes are 5200lb springs).

Definitely better than getting the 4800lb u-codes though.

Congrats on the plow purchase :drinkup:

14. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i agree with the above, i started out using the handheld and just got sick of when i set it down and grab my phone or cb mike and the sensative buttons push a wing out or something, so i bought 4 joysticks on here last year fixed em up and sold two. i have the joystick mountd to my center console, and carry the hand held in the glove box as a backup.

15. soc

soc Junior Member
    from ny

where did you mount the joystick control so its in reach?????? I got the handheld - the floor seems to be too far away to reach comfortably if mounted there???

16. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Bought a pedestal mount from my dealer. Had them machine a new center section to make it 15" end to end (only 9" the way it came). Perfect height to mount to the floor of my 07 F-350 in front of the middle seat/console and come up so that it's right in line with my arm coming off of the console.

I don't have it mounted yet (ordered a center console out of a 08 SD and going to install it first so I position the pedestal in the right spot), but I'll see about holding it up in the truck and snapping a pic.

17. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

For me this brings it to the perfect height, right in line with my arm off of the arm rest.

Still have to mount it.

Boss Joystick Mount 002.jpg

18. soc

soc Junior Member
    from ny

ahh ok i understand now - thanks for the pic

19. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Then when winter is over, just unplug the joystick and remove the pedestal from the base by loosening the clamp. That way just the small base is left in the truck.

20. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

I like the pedestal! Looks like it will be comfortable!