1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by A&M Snowplowing, Mar 13, 2005.

1. A&M Snowplowing

A&M Snowplowing Senior Member

My father today decided to get rid of the 2002 Silverado after it causing him $1.500 in parts. He decided on a 2005 2500HD silverado with the regular cab. He has been looking at the boss plow for the last few years. He decided the 05 will get a Boss 8'2 poly V. The only thing we are wondering is if the lift cylinder will give it down pressure. Also we ? the smart touch hand held controller. We are wondering how the down and up button works since it is all on the same button. Also have any of you guys that are running Boss plows had any problems with them. He also questioning if he should get the smart lock cylinders and curb guards. Does anyone think we should get these two options or not.
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

there is no down pressure on a boss plow. in regards to the hand held controller i have no problem operating it, but i think you can still get a joystick controller if you want.
    i have the smart lock cylinder and they work good, the blade doesnt move forward when backdragging.
    if you do alot of parking lots, or areas with curbs i would get a set of the curb guards. it will save the sides of your cutting edge and blade.
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If your jobs can support it, go with the 9.2' V Size is everything, and the 9.2's are built a bit better.
  4. selser420

selser420 Member

GO with a 9'2" and get the smartlock.....that extra foot makes a big difference, and its less than that wide when in the V position. Super handy when going through gates or into garages.
  5. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I have a boss 8'2" and it has been great. I dont have the smart lock but it would come in handy when back the snow out. As far and the hand held controller goes I think it works great.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

No reason to get smartlock cylinders unless you back drag much.

I prefer the fisher/western V's if its going to be used with much speed. Dont like thtripping of the boss

Boss hand controlers ROCK!

No down pressure

What kinda plowing will this be used for?

Center hoof and breaking cutting edges is pretty common even if not ran hard. All kindsa stuff if ran hard.

Boss is a good blade I just really think they were out to lunch when they designed a full trip V blade. Has good controler, good and quick hydrolics, good construction. Just the design of the full trip sucks especially dependant on how its used. Resi and such its probably not a big deal.
  7. A&M Snowplowing

It will be used in driveways and commercial lots.
  8. ratlover

from IL

I still prefer the fisher or western for bigger comercial or any place you will get much speed.

Oh.....the center button on the cotroler for up and down is kinda a big rubbery rocker switch if that makes sense, push it twards the top and it goes up, push it twards the cord and down it goes, hold it a bit and the thing will light up with a red dot instead of green meaning its in float.

Reg cab can take a big blade, I run a 9.5 fisher and have a diesel. I would run a 10' boss(well i wouldnt run a boss but you know what I mean) or a blizzard 810(another sweet set up) or a 9.5 fisher/western depending on your acounts and if you could stuff the bigger blade down em?

He has the 4800# FAWR I assume?
  9. A&M Snowplowing

I am pretty positive that it has the 4800 FAWR on the truck
  10. ratlover

from IL

If his accounts can handle it a fisher/western 9.5' V or a blizzard 810 IMO

A V will be able to scoop a bit more narrow than a blizzard, it may be better for tight areas. Duno what would be best for him but he can stick a BIG blade up front no probs.

I run a 9.5 V with timbrens and around 1k of ballast, 265 tires and 3/4" of a t bar crank and it handles the blade GREAT!

If he is stuck on Boss he can go with a bigger.