1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow won't go on and off truck hydraulically

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by smalueg001, Feb 22, 2011.

1. smalueg001

smalueg001 Junior Member

Does anyone have this problem or have a fix for my Boss Plow? The plow will not go on and off hydraulically. I have to use a 2x4 to put it on and off my truck. The remote does seem to enter the program and it allows me to put the plow on using the 2x4.

All other plow operations work fine.

Any advice?

Thank you,

Jeff

2. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Might try posting this int he Boss plow section. Also more info would help for sure, year of plow, type of plow aka V plow or straight blade!

3. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

we had this once, was the wire harness, some of the couplers corroded and broke.
    not sure if thats the only thing that can cause that, but sounds like it.
    i would check that - its pretty common on most plows

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like your cutting edge is getting worn out.

5. mule585

mule585 Member

easy fix get a western

6. smalueg001

smalueg001 Junior Member

boss plow

The boss plow is a 2002, 71/2 ft blade

7. grandview

Again,how worn is the cutting edge?

8. smalueg001

smalueg001 Junior Member

cuuting edge

What would the cutting edge have to do with the going on abd off hydrolically?

9. grandview

When the cutting edge is worn and you try and take it off by using the switch the hooks on the plow will get hung up. Because you are saying you are using a 2x 4 to get it off and on.

10. smalueg001

smalueg001 Junior Member

boss plow

When I am removing the plow it is set on snowmobile dollys so it is off the ground an inch and a half.So it is not sitting on the ground.Is there a spec for the wear bar? The pow is 8 years old but it looks like new yet.If I block the blade up higher it could possible come off hydrolically

11. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

make sure its in float
    check your plug for broken posts
    all wires conected right (should be a wire diagram on fluid tank)
    might be a bad smart hitch switch

12. smalueg001

smalueg001 Junior Member

boss plow

Thanks for the info,have already checked the wires on the diagram,the remote is switching,but how do I know the plow is switching modes?Thanks for the help Jeff

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

What exactly do you mean by the remote is switching?Are you talking about your tower on/off toggle switch making the pump run but yet it won't raise the tower?

14. grandview

We need video.

15. 94chevy2500

if u mean switching to float (has to be in float for smarthitch to work) the green light on the control will turn red just hold the down button on untill it turns red

16. smalueg001

smalueg001 Junior Member

boss plow

Yes I know that. I have had the plow foe eight years. Just took plow off,tried something new,pushed up on plow to release lock pinsand it will hydrolically will come off.Problem is I can heaer the pump working to go up to release the lock pins but it does not move.so, the pump is rinning but not pushing fluif in the right direction.Pump sounds like the valve is closed so the pump can notmove the cylinder up to release the lock pins. JEFF

17. 94chevy2500

u might have a bad coil take the down coil off stick a screwdriver in the hole and have someone hit the down button, see if its magnitized if not then bad coil if it is then check the valve take that out put coil on the valve post (disconnect main power and ground wires so pump wont run) theres little holes for the valve whatch in there to see if they open u can also hear them move hope this helps let us know!

18. smalueg001

smalueg001 Junior Member

the light switches from green to red,so its in float position,that is when the switch on the plow works for putting plow on and off. jeff

19. grandview

So sometimes when it's red it doesn't come off?

20. 94chevy2500

if everything works but motor is deadheading(moter and pump running but real loud and nothing moving) i would check the coils and valve like a said above i belive up down and smarthitch are sopposed to be energized will in float so check those 3