1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow wiring problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by odd1or2even, Aug 31, 2010.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I recently bought a used 2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel. It came with a plow, the 8' straight trip edge but when I went to pick it up, the plow wouldn't raise. There was obviously a problem with the electrical and I had to load the plow in the truck. Long story short here's the problem:

I checked the solenoid originally and I couldn't get it to lift/click when I jumper-ed it. So I bought a new solenoid. Upon tightening the two mounting bolts down, I tried the controller and still nothing and no "click". So I thought maybe the soilinoid would have to be grounded so I placed it on the negative battery and tried it. Still nothing... no power at all to the controller inside the cab.

I took apart the dash and noticed a wire hanging which should be attached to the ignition but it must have come loose. So I took a battery box and put the wire to a positive and then I got power to the 9 pin connector in the cab. But when I attach the controller, it doesn't light up or do anything. But I have power to the black wire.

I have power to the one side of the solenoid, there's two white wires attached to the one side post, and then on the other side I believe it's a brown wire.. finally one last batery cable which goes to the pump.

What seems to be the problem? I can jump the positive battery that has power, to the double white.. and then I get the pump to make noise and I get the controller inside the cab to light up. As soon as I take it off I get nothing to the controller again.

One more thing, I hooked up another plow of mine, and when I put the truck lights on, I get only the parking lights to turn on the plow (while truck lights are on). When I flip the switch in the truck, I don't get the lights to switch over to plow lights. I don't know..

Where do I check next or whats the fix?

Steve

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For starters your plow control harness doesn't have a good ground on the brown wires. All the browns in there are tied together (including those at the solenoid) and should terminate at the negative battery terminal. If your browns have no ground then nothing will work.

You should also have a small red wire on the positive battery terminal with an inline fuse. This supplies battery power to the entire control harness. If it's not there then nothing (including the plow headlamps) will function.

A visual inspection and a test light are your best friends right now.

3. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I got the problem fixed. I took off the brown, and red wires to the battery and sanded them down. I also found the "keyed" wire and hooked it up to the cig. lighter. Then the controller turned on as it should. Thanks B&B for your help.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Congrats on the fix and be sure to go over all the other connection now while you're in there. Will save you grief later on when you're knee deep in a storm.