1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow wings

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by R.J.B., Sep 26, 2016.

1. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

I just bought a truck with an 8ft steel superduty. I want to put a set of wings on it. The boss wings are pricey for 750.00 compared to buyers pro wings for 199.00. Just wanted to see how many of u use the boss wings and are they worth the extra $$$. Thanks
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

As Kimber once said...

Buyers is the Harbor Freight of the snowplow industry...
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The nice thing about factory wings they are designed to work with that plow, pro wings are a universal fit.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have a set of Boss wings, got them when they were only $500 and then they were over priced.

But, I will say they are very well built they will take the pounding and more.
    So maybe they are worth it, I couldn't see. Byers or harbor freight wings doing the job the boss wings do.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've run Buyer wings and they work, I also reinforced them so they woodn't bend too.
    I have a set of Boss wings for my V, I know they different but if giving a choice between a aftermarket or OEM I'd go with the OEM for the reason Kimber said. The Boss Wings are designed to displace the load over a larger area which introduces less stress into the moldboard. Buyes has 2 hinge pins that mount on the end of the moldboard and a post that telescopes through the moldboard.
    Also is you look at the geometry of the Boss wing and the Buyers the Boss will carry move snow due to the height of the wing and the curl/radius that follows the moldboard. The Buyer is just a flat plate that covers aboot 2/3 of the moldboard.
  6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

We have bent numerous sets of buyers wings in the past and now we have sets of western wings and one set of boss wings. I know they are built stronger but we might be a little bit more careful knowing they cost so much more.
  7. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I bought my first set of boss wings for a flat top rt2 when boss first marketed the wing. I purchased my second set on the way to pick up my vxt many years later. $850 well spent. I can't imagine working without them
  8. LogansLawnCare

LogansLawnCare Member

We have both, I thought the same thing $850 is a lot to spend compared to the $200 for the buyers wings. Hands down the Boss wings are better. They are better made and as others have stated they will carry more snow.
  9. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

I picked up the boss wings! after looking at the, in person well worth the extra $$$. Thanks for the input!!
  10. smz89

smz89 Junior Member
    from ND

Overall for those who have them or have used them, are the wings worth the investment? I have 8' 2'' power-v xt I am thinking of putting them on. I run the plow on our 99 Ford F350 V10 single cab. Also, do many install timbrens?
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

What are your springs rated for? I would say there's no need unless you're already over.
  12. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The wings are worth every penny.

No timbrens here, running on new Super Duties.