1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow v blade help.... Please

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gkp, Sep 29, 2009.

1. gkp

gkp Member

I have been trying to diagnose a boss 8.2 v.... here is the problem. When you scoop the blade from all the way back the left (drivers side) moves 80% of the way then the right moves 50% of the way then the left finishes then the right finishes movement but none of this happens together..... They only move one at a time.
    Now.... I first took the springs off both wings to see if the pin was binding, but they both move freely. I checked both valves by putting a charge to them and both open freely and the filters are clean. Then I tested the rams (smart locks) by switching them...... and the problem got 30% better but was still there so I then put new rams on both sides and the problem went back to the original way it was brought to me........ I did not change the hoses to the rams?.... but they looked fine. the hydrolic fluid looked new but I changed it anyway. I am at a loss and would love some advice from some of you seasond plow mechanics..... The plows age is (approximate) 3 years old

Oh and when the plow goes from scoop to the v position it moves at mach-5 whats up with that too?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

did you grease the center hinge pin? Pow will flop back fast if you have the return springs to tight ,they just need to be tight enough to pull them back.Just undo the eye bolt nut a little.

3. gkp

gkp Member

I did grease the center pin and it seemed like the owner never did...... There was allot of rust coming out. I have the springs set to spec but as a last resort would loosen them a little.

Thanks grandview

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The wings will never extend at the exact same speed when both are operated simultaneously. It's due to the priority circuity in the hydro manifold and nothing you do will make them extend equally at the same time. They're working 100% as intended.

However, a rusty center hinge will amplify the differences in wing travel. Whichever one is tighter on the hinge (due to rust) or has the wing spring adjusted tighter will lag further behind more noticeably.

Get the hinge greased up, set the wing spring adjustments just tight enough that the wings will return fully...and plow happily on.

5. gkp

gkp Member

But are they supposed to just move one at a time?

6. Langanobob

Langanobob Junior Member

I don't know if this is a good analogy but I'll a different way of describing what B&B explained in his post. Think of a two wheel drive truck without a limited slip differential. When you give it the gas on ice or slick snow the tire with the least traction will spin and the other wheel will just sit there. If the spinning wheel digs down to gravel or pavement it will momentarily get traction and then the other wheel will start spinning. Basically the power follows the path of least resistance.

Similar to the hydraulics on each side. The fluid will go to the side that moves the easiest. There will always be some unbalance in the friction forces and when the moving cylinder hits a tight spot, then the other side will move. Again, as B&B said, it's not anything to worry about.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not if they're free to pivot on the hinge with similar resistance.

But one will still travel out with a priority...and it's usually the left side as it's fed by the priority circuit.

8. gkp

gkp Member

Thanks guys....... It was as easy as loosening the right spring....... Figures, here I performed heart surgery when all I needed to do was pop a zit........SOB

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A wise old man once told me...you have to be 10% smarter than what you're working with. :salute: