1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow Trouble

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scarey, Jan 12, 2005.

1. scarey

scarey Junior Member

8 foot trip edge boss with smart hitch won't connect. Worked fine yesterday and then went to hook up today and it won't make the connection?? Seems like smart hitch isn't working. Smart hitch will start to raise the head and then drops down. Any thoughts or similiar problems and/or resolutions would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

does the pump make a high pitched sound when it drops back down? check the fluid level.
    you should be able to manuallly lift the tower up, its not fun and its heavy too.

3. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Make sure it is in float mode!

4. Paulie

Paulie Junior Member

Make sure lock pin levers are set to on.

5. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Check all the other responses and make sure you are lined up straight, not at an angle......mine done this once and only latched in one pin...had to set it down and pull the plow straight in line with the pins :nod:

6. Patriot

Patriot Junior Member

SmartHitch

Check to see if your controller stays in float mode. If your switch works for a second and stops check the red light on the controller(if you use a handheld). If the controller is coming out of float mode when hitting the SmartHitch switch, the controller is probably bad. Two seasons ago BOSS had a problem with the rubber at the base of the controller cable. I know we replaced a dozen or so. If the controller is staying in float, check your connections at the back of the SmartHitch switch. if connections are good the switch is probably bad. Switch part number for the SmartHitch 2 switch is MSC04671.

Craig
    Patriot Truck
    BOSS Dealer

7. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Check the "hold" key in the anchor pin slot. The spring loaded wire may have broken and is letting the anchor pin seat before the tower goes up into the raised position.

I had this problem....could not figure why the tower would not raise and lock in. The tower kept going back down like the pump activated the bypass valve. I happen to look down and see the anchor pin was already in fully. HUh, I never made the connection....Mr. Obvious :waving:

8. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I had the same problem with my Boss V. I lowered the A-frame/light tower to the correct height and it hooks up perfect every time now.