1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss plow tech help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BATTLIN_BLAZES, Mar 2, 2005.

1. BATTLIN_BLAZES

BATTLIN_BLAZES Member

I need a little help here guys Ive ran into a snag with my boss plow. I noticed here my last time out that when I put the plow in float mode the pump doesn't want to grab right away and lift the blade back up. I get a higher pithed sound for a second or two out of the pump and then it will lift. I did check the fluid which was a little bit low so I topped it off but no change in the plows reaction. my first thought was air trapped in the system but it seems to me that I would notice air in all movements. this only happens in float mode if I just set it down without going into float it jumps right back up? any ideas? thanks Rich

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

That's never happened with mine. I'd say call the local Boss dealer and ask them, they should know if it's a common problem and what to do about it.

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

mine does that sometimes too. especially after sitting for a while when plowing. I havent taken it in yet but i suspect that it is the controller. which controller do you have?

4. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Mine started doing that this year too. It is an 8'2" Vee. I also checked the oil and found it to be a little low, so I topped it off but that didn't help it. Mine only does it on the raise function which makes me wonder if the valve that operates the raise function might be sticking enough that oil cannot pass to the lift cylinder so the pump is just dumping oil back to the tank until the valve moves direct oil to the lift cylinder. I checked for a loose wire on the lift coil thinking it wasn't energizing to move the valve, but it was tight and getting voltage. Seems if it was doing it on other functions, I would suspect the controller or the plug, but it is only evident in the lift. I also wondered if since it is in float, when the plow drops to follow the ground contour, it pushes the rest of the oil out of the cylinder and when you go to raise the plow, the pump has to fill the cylinder up which has takes very little effort (the high pitched noise you hear is the motor and pump running) and as soon as the cylinder fills up enough to raise the blade is when you get the normal sound you are used to. Oh well, guess it's grounds for trading it in on a new one, right?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  5. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Does it sound like the pump is stuggling, or whining like it has no fluid?

6. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

When mine does it, it sounds like there is no resistance on the pump for 1-2 seconds. The pump isn't cavatating like it is out of oil though, I think (hope)it's the pump refilling the cylinder after being in float and then meets the resistance of raising the plow creating a delay.

7. BATTLIN_BLAZES

BATTLIN_BLAZES Member

yes it sounds as if the pump is struggling to pick up fluid, I have the hand held controler and I dont think its in that. but if it was air wouldnt it do it in all modes not just float mode?

8. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I don't have that problem , but sometimes when I try to get it in the float mode and I'm moving my right wing starts retracting. I suspect I'm hitting that button on the handheld controller , but I'm not sure. Has any of you guys had that happen ?

9. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I haven't had the wings try to come back on their own yet. Is it both wings or just the right one? If it was both of them, I would suspect the relief valve would be getting weak. If the relief valve is getting weak, the plow would be apt to fall or drift down when snow gets built up on the moldboard and the wings would want to come back when pushing a lot of weight too.

10. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

Its just the right wing , thats what makes me think I'm hitting that button to then I'm holding down to engage the float .Some guys were bashing Boss's hand held controller in a thread awhile back , I like it myself , but the up down button could be a bit bigger.

11. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

I have had this happen 2 times with my 9'2. It is a pretty simple fix. Your pump is starving itself from fluild. There is a screen on the pick-up tube inside the reservoir. It has happened to me twice that it gets partially plugged with some black gunk. I'm not sure if it is residue from hoses or what but it is enough that the pump to whine from lack of fluid. 4 bolts will remove the pump and reservoir from the tower. You have to disconnect two hoses into the pump. Then four more bolts take the reservoir off the pump. I just did it yesterday. It took about 1 hour and it solved the problem for the second time. When you have it apart you should replace the o-ring around the pick-up tube. They can go bad and can suck air which will also cause whining.