1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS plow sucks battery power

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BAMP, Dec 30, 2014.

1. BAMP

BAMP Junior Member

Problem:when I use my plow it sucks the battery volts so low the truck will stall.
    I noticed a couple sparks(from the plow to the mount on truck)occur as I was mounting the blade to the truck.
    Sounds like bad ground but checked and cleaned grounds and all looks okay.
    Truck is 97' chev 1500
    Plow is BOSS 8' straight poly
    Any useful help would be appreciated.Tia

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Where is the plow wiring grounded to.the trk? And have you looked at the plow motor?

3. BAMP

BAMP Junior Member

The ground on the truck end goes straight to the battery, positive goes to the silonoid.cleaned ground wire attached to the pump/motor.
    This was installed professionally so I expected it to be right but something isn't.

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Why isn't this question in. The Boss forum?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

And, what about the plow motor?
    Sounds also like something is "on" when your hooking up the plow

6. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

How big is the ground wire from the battery to the chassis? Move the ground to the chassis from the battery if it is larger than the stock ground. The alternator runs the whole show when the truck is running. Upgrade the alternator, do the BIG3 or BIG4 and you will find a difference in abilities. Adding a second battery is not a solution as all it does is store charge if there is some available. If the alternator is currently struggling to operate the truck, operate the plow and keep one battery charged, how can it then be expected to keep a second battery charged?