1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow Slowly lowering?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by EE10, Dec 14, 2010.

1. EE10

EE10 Junior Member

I have a 2003 8'2 poly vee rt3 when I lift it up to the top and let it set it slowly drops. My other problem is when I double click the controller to go up it goes all the way up but the pump motor doesn't shutoff. I have also noticed when I hit the lower button and let off the button the plow doesn't stop dropping right away. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Raise it up and immediately disconnect the controller. Does the pump still continue to run and does it then stay up?

3. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

Is there a valve adjustment for speed of the drop? I believe so, but not sure- im actually looking into one of my boss plows that is slow on the low.

Also- which controller do you use>..That allows you to double click and the plow goes to the all the way up position on its own? you dont have to hold the button down>? I have the handheld and never was able to do this.

4. EE10

EE10 Junior Member

B & B I raised it up and unpluged the controller and as soon as I unpluged it the pump stopped. When I say it slowly lowers I mean after 15min. it will drop a inch. hope this helps with the next step.

5. EE10

EE10 Junior Member

alternative, I have a handheld controller also, and as far as the valve its on the back of the pump housing its a set screw with a lock nut.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you haven't figured it out yet the controller is dying, that's why the pump is sticking on. But that isn't causing the leak down issue. That's most likely a piece of debris in either the lower valve or pump check valve or you have a seal issue in the lift cylinder.

7. EE10

EE10 Junior Member

B & B the controller is brand new as of two days ago. Where is the lower valve and check valve located? Thanks for the help

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That doesn't necessarily mean it's not defective. Plenty of brand new parts come fresh out of the box and don't work. If you have or can borrow a spare controller by all means do so.

The lower (drop) valve will be in the row of valves facing directly forward, will be the one with the white wire. The pump check valve is also in the front of the manifold and located at the lower driver side corner. Pull them both and clean them up.

A full fluid flush and reservoir clean out is probably long overdue on a plow of this age if it haven't been done in a while. Hope you don't run ATF in it.

9. EE10

EE10 Junior Member

Ok I will go to my dealer and try a different controller tomorrow and I will clean the valves the fluid is changed every season with boss fluid. can you clean the valves with carb. cleaner and air to blow them out?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Brake clean and shop air is the better method. Carb cleaner tends to be a little tough on O-rings.

11. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

BnB - How often should one do a whole system w/resevoir flush?

Also- is there a set screw on the drop valve that you just tweak to get the plow to drop faster..

Thanks,

12. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

When you double click the controller, and the moldboard raises to the top, the motor will most times continue running, as they are on a timer. Usually this is a 4 second timing. At least this was explained to me by a Boss tech. I'm sure there are other guys on here that know more about it than I do.

13. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

I forgot to mention that if you do raise the moldboard and the motor continues to run at the top longer than 4 seconds, then yes, it is another problem. Good luck

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Boss's are not nearly as susceptible to water intrusion as many of the other plows are since the breather is better shielded from weather. So a reservoir drain and refill once a season is adequate and then a full flush including removing and cleaning out the reservoir and pick up screens about every other season is all that's generally required.

This assumes you're using the correct fluid, either genuine Boss or one meeting their specifications.

Yes, it's on the rear side of the light tower facing the truck. Simply loosen it's jamb nut with a 7/8 wrench and turn the 3/16 hex screw counterclockwise to speed it up to your liking then re-tighten the jamb nut. Be sure to snug the jamb nut between each test too, helps with accuracy.