1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow sitting crooked

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JCPM, Dec 1, 2015.

1. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Hey guys I just picked up an 8' super duty trip edge and when it's not attached to the truck the light tree sits a little crooked. It leans to the passenger side. There are no obvious signs that it is bent anywhere. It still has all of the original paint and nothing looks botched or fixed. The A frame looks fine. Apart from being a pita to latch the driver side pin it looks to be fully functional and doesn't ride weird on the truck. Could the pivot pin possible be a little bent causing it to sit funny? This is my 6th Boss plow so I'm fairly familiar with how they are constructed but this truly had me stumped. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Did you try wiggling it around by hand ?
    To see where slop there is?

Are you useing the shoes ?
    Are they set at the same hight?

3. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

No shoes. It will lift back to the level position but no further.

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Could it just be that the entire tower is leaning that way because theres slightly more weight. You mention that its when the plow is off the truck, so it has a little bit of rock from side to side when the foot is down.

5. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Yeah but it won't rock as much to the driver's side.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Is the cutting edge wore to one side...?

Pictures....

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Is the whole plow rocking? or just the tower. It might not rock as much to drivers side because thats the side more of the stuff for the jack is on. If i remember correctly our boss was like this too.

8. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I was thinking cutting edge as well, send some pics of the whole plow. That will help

9. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Worn in the driver side. Same side that gives me trouble latching the pin

10. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

This is my third straight blade and I've never had this issue. Wish I could post pics from my phone. I started separating the blade from the tree. Some of the bolts on the cylinders were stuck so they're soaking with PB blaster overnight.

11. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I'm gonna guess if the blade is worn to the same side as the problem is, the worn blade is your problem. You should probably get a new cutting edge or if it's not a huge deal just make sure you wear the other side if the cutting edge has enough wear left but I'd just get a new blade

12. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

A frame could be tweaked slightly. If the light tower will move around then the two holes/pins where the A frame and light tower connect are worn out.
    I just picked up a straight blade that the light tower would lean to the passenger side when removed from truck. I did not have any issue with connecting to truck. The pins were worn and the holes were very sloppy. I filled in the holes with welder and new pins, that tightened it up nicely.

13. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Probably twisted A frame, but not enough to snap it

14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

One of our backup straight blades is like this, the pivot pin is worn pretty good.

15. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Bent a frame and push frame. Just dropped them off to my welder to have them straightened. He's got a press