1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow shoes ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bigboss1977, Nov 25, 2011.

1. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

As far as plowing goes, is there any advantage of not using the plow shoes and taking them off my plow? First year on my own with my own plow and truck, just wanted to get some input.

2. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

I never use them and i think shoes are useless unless your always on gravel. Do I buy cutting edges faster than the guy who uses them? Sure. Do I get to the pavement I'm plowing easier and with less salt? Heck Yes.

It's preference but I say don't take them home from the dealer.
  3. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I think resi guys like them more than commercial guys. If your always on pavement, there is no point. But if in gravel, dirt, etc, they are nice so you dont dig up the earth. Also good for NOT ripping grass up until ground freezes
  4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

In 38 yrs. of plowing I only used plow shoes the 1st. year I plowed.
  5. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Like Pooleo8 said. There good early on in the season before the freeze or later if we get a late snow so you don't drop off the blacktop and tear things up. Or a new account that your not real sure where the edges are. But I also like to plow as close as I can so I don't run shoes. But theres been times I wish I had.Lol
  6. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

I used them one time first plow took them off bent one never again after 6 years no need for them and 90% of my stuff is gravel.
  7. dhoff25

dhoff25 Junior Member
    from iowa

Hi im new and just bought a plow for using on my drive only which is gravel
    plow did not come with shoes just wondering how you guys do gravel drives wit hout shoe s and not tear it up do I lift the blade a little or what
  8. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

That is definitely an option, or the first one or two snows dont plow at all(if its not a foot) then you have a packed base that protects the driveway. I like to backdrag as much as I can early in the season to pack things down.
  9. dhoff25

dhoff25 Junior Member
    from iowa

Oh ok thanks that makes sense
  10. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Cutting edges

I've been plowing for 35 years and the only thing I've found shoes to be good for is preserving your cutting edge on pavement ! They do not hold the plow up on unfrozen ground , as most people seem to think . That being said , I run mine till the ground freezes because most residential customers think they help . I remove them for pavement though , gets things much cleaner .
  11. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

I do 95% gravel.Take outside shoes off after things freeze up,but leave centre shoe one always.It adds to the strength of your main centre pin and rings on the bottom.
  12. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I always let mine on, (31 years-24 with my own route) and had them shimmed all the way up just so I never lost them in the shop! People need to be aware for the most part, professionals are not going to try and rip up there yards. I always told my customers if it happened that they can either take care of the small raking themselves or I would gladly come back when it thaws and charge them for replacement sod. Never got called back and lost very few accounts over the years, just the whinners! MUD
  13. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

I used them the last 2 years with the deep snow (10'') or above when I couldn't keep up with the storm just to get the bulk of it out of the way . Take them off on final cleanup .
    I think its much less stress when pushing deep sh*t
    I shim the cutting edge to 1'' and it delivers a smoooove quiet push .
    We have a municipal contract this season and PLAN on using them on the streets .
    No raised manhole covers for me .:dizzy: