1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow RT3 problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by beverlylawncare, Nov 16, 2007.

1. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

I'm looking at a plow truck. It has a Boss RT3 plow that is approx. 4 or 5 years old. The plow got used a little the first year, even less the second, and it has pretty much sat most of the time since then, indoors. My questions:

The guy indicated that the solenoid is bad, he bypassed it by "jumping across" the terminals. When he did this, I hear what I thought was the up motor constantly running. The plow would go left or right, but would not lower down. Is it possible the only issue is the solenoid or is it likely that one of his wires was not hooked up right, or something? His does not have the large wire harness plug, it has like about 12 wires of various colors to match up, which the sun has faded over time. If you travel far enough up the loom you get to the non-discolored wires. Should I consider this a minor issue and buy it anyway if the price is right or could this be something major?

Thanks for the help, I'm a Meyer and Western user, never had a boss.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like its gonna need some wiring repair and maybe a new solenoid to fix it right but other than that it wouldn't stop me from buying it if the price was right. Boss's are one of the most reliable and easiest to repair plows out there IMO.

I'd just figure about $200-$300 for the wiring and solenoid repairs into the asking price...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  3. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

Thanks for the info. I figured it wouldn't be a huge repair issue. My next question though is this, if I bring it home, is there a way to "manually" lower the plow in order to remove it from the truck? Or should I try and schedule a drive by to the service dept. next week to get it looked it? I'm sure if I get to tracking down things that I'd be able to figure things out, I'm pretty handy, installed 3 or 4 plows and spreaders over the years, one was an older western with part of the harness missing, had to figure it out. I'd like to find out if Boss makes a retrofit wiring plug to alleviate matching all of the wires and have just one large plug like their website shows the newer plows to have.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since you do have a little plow skill then theirs no reason you can't hot wire it to remove it from the truck until you get it repaired..
    It is in fact suppose to have a single connecting plug between the truck and the plow (actually it should have 2. 1 for the battery harness and one for the head light and control harness). Sounds like someone cut the plugs off the end of the harness's and just connected all the wire's individually. Not something I'd want to do every time I hooked up to a plow!:eek:

5. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

And shy from replacing that portion of the wiring harness, I have what choice? HMMM.,, Well, for the winter this truck will pretty much sit until plow time. I'm looking at it strictly as a backup/second truck. Thanks for all your help! Is there anywhere to find the schematics as to what wire does what?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I can send you the wiring diagrams for the RT3's if you do end up purchasing it..

Rather than spending the money on both halve's of the complete harness you could use a couple quick connect plugs like what would be used on equipment and trailer hook up's. I've had good luck with doing some of them like that that guys didn't want to put the money into replacing the entire harness.

7. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

Yeah, I thought about that too. Thats how I rigged up some quick disconnects to my old Chevy truck that was missing some wiring. I found two 6 conductor plugs and was able to take the "conventional" mount off during summer months to save wear and tear on front end.

BTW, I went to the search section and saw someone else had looked for wiring info and were directed to the boss website. They have the wiring diagrams on their site. I'm figuring that someone failed to unplug and tried to back away ripping the harness or something. They replaced with quality crimped ends with clear covers on them. I'll give them an "A" for effort.

Thanks again!