1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow recomendation for this truck.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by havenlax18, Sep 3, 2011.

1. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Added a 1999 F150 XL 5.4L V8 x-cab short bed to the fleet. What boss plow would you recomend? Thanks:waving:

2. JD822

JD822 Member

Depends on what your are using it for. If you just want to do your own and a few neighbors driveways, then get the Sport duty. It is a lighter plow. You will have added wear to the front end obviously, but nothing like a heavier blade will. If your going to do any type of commercial, spend the money on the Super Duty blade. It will handle the abuse of commercial plowing. But understand it weighs 680# without the mount. In this case, you will want to add Timbrens and heavy duty shocks like the KYB MonoMax's. Maybe get a pair of new springs through RockAuto.com (about $80 bucks for the pair) just to make sure it is stout to handle the weight. Personally, if I was going to add that heavy of a plow to it, I would want convenience and would go with a Meyer Super-VLD. It is 582# without mount, and you have the versatility of the V. Either way I would replace the shocks and springs due to age. But this is my opinion and others may differ from it. It all comes down to your own needs. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  3. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

It's only being used as a fleet truck. I have a dozen other ford but my problem is I never put a plow on something this small before only 250's, 350's and 550's

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7' 6" sport duty

5. JD822

JD822 Member

When I first started plowing I began with a '93 Dakota with a Meyer Max 6'8. I will admit that during one very heavy storm (10" or so) after windrowing for to long it was a bit of a fight to continue a straight line. But that little truck did very well otherwise. It was a tough little truck. And I did a few small church parking lots with it. I don't think you will have any issues with a F150 as long as the blade isnt to heavy and you have the proper ballast amount. I ran 420#'s in the back of that Dakota. The sport duty should do just fine. Thumbs Up