1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss plow question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Land Design, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Land Design

Land Design Member

hi all,

Wanted to know if any of you have this problem, i have a 8ft. poly boss plow (2002) with smarthhitch. Works good except sometimes when i turn the switches to the "on" position the left pin does not retract due to the fact that the trigger pin/spring which holds it back until the plow is raised up does not always hold. I find i have to move it very slow so the spring does not miss fire and actually holds the pin until the head unit is raised.
    Does anybody have this problem? Can I fix it by simply bending the spring up a little to catch the pin more or will that mess it up?

One other question - I find i have alot of rust on my cutting edge, i wash it every time i plow. i had a meyer for 2 years and don't remeber rust like this. IS there anything to spray on the edge to prevent this?

thanks for the help

Land Design :waving:
  2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

I don't know about your boss question as I run fishers but as for the rust i treat my equipment with WD-40, Plow and spreader. I works well for rust reduction( you can get a bigger size then the small cans).... also is the cutting edge stock? That may be part of it.
  3. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

I get 4 gallon cans for like $55 and then pour it into a cheap spray bottle

4. flmusj

flmusj Junior Member

Just bend the spring so it is in the middle of the pin. You will have to adjust the springs from time to time.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Another good product for that would be Fluid Film.Just like WD-40,but tends to stay on better and not wash off as easily.

6. gssuperduty

gssuperduty Junior Member

Hi Land Desgin

I also have a Boss Plow with the Smarthitch 2 .
    Both my pin retaining springs are bent. I simply bend them back into place. Some times I line up the plow and raise the tower then flip the switch to lock the pins in , i've done this several time with out a problem. As far as rust on the cutting edge , mine is rusting too. :rolleyes:

7. bgrover

bgrover Member

Just pull the spring up a bit so it is in the middle of the pin and will stop the pin. I have to do mine every time I put the plow on. The dealer I bought mine from told me to check that spring and "adjust" it when mounting. I doubt the amount you have to pull it up will damage the spring any time soon.