1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS Plow question??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CHCSnowman, Feb 16, 2007.

1. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a strange thing that happened. The lever that flips between "on" and "off" to install plow broke a 1/4" x 3" roll pin last week on one side and the plow was only secured by 1 pin when I went to remove. SO I repaired it with a makeshift pin since no place has a roll pin that size except BOSS, well I ordered one and am waiting on it......last nite I broke the other roll pin. WHat is the chances of breaking both of these stainless steel pins in 1 week.......UNLESS there is a problem?

Anyone had this happen??

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

What pin did you break? Im not sure where there is a 1/4" pin on a boss plow...
  3. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Down by the levers that you flip to mount and dismount plow. These roll pins go thru the big pin that locks blade on. There are 2 springs that attach to end of lever then these spings go up to this roll pin and attach.

I called my distributor this morning and they are now telling me these pins are being replaced by a bolt assembly and you have to replace roll pins, lever, springs and main pins!

I am going to call BOSS right now to find out if this is a malfunctioning part or a flaw or just what is going on.

I know I was very lucky I didnt lose my plow in the middle of the highway....for when these pins fail, as soon as you make a pass and take pressure off pins, they will spring backwards, thus UNHOOKING your plow. I worked 8 hours and dont know when it broke, I didnt notice it until I unhooked plow. Then 1 week later other side broke. IF both sides had broken the same evening........I could have easily lost the plow going down the road.

I'll let you all know what BOSS says.

Take care,
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How old is your plow? I've never seen or heard of the roll pin's on the attaching pin's breaking or falling out on a RT3.
  5. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

New in 2002.

I smell an accident waiting. BOSS says "they have had a few" but they say they still use roll pin.

It's a dangerous flaw. My pins were NOT rusted at all. If these pins both fail at same time........someone is gonna get hurt bad! All BOSS had to do was put a safety lock on it so that if it fails, the lock prevents pin that secures plow from coming loose.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm, Boss rep didn't mention anything about this problem to me.Sound's like I need to start replacing the roll pins with bolt's, we can't have plows falling of the front of truck's!
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

the problem is with the material they made them out of(stainless steel)they were replacing them under warranty as a pin upgrade,they would pay the dealer to do it for you,with the currently used bolt and spring kits
  8. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

I think BOSS must have had a few of these fall off trucks! I dug a little deeper and upon inspection of a new RT3, I see they have now started not only using bolts instead of roll pin....they is also a safety lock to prevent pin from falling out.

I will be retrofitting a lock to my unit ASAP!

The last thing I need is to lose a blade.

Kudos to BOSS on making the change........just wish they had notified me and replaced my new unit under warranty........I still cant figure out how to get new springs back in place while using the new bolt design!

I sure like my BOSS though.
  9. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

Plow Lock

I Had Bought A New 8.2 Steel V In April Of 2003 And It Had The Updated Lock On The Driver Side Then Already ?

Is That The Lock You Are Talking About ?

10. firefly98

firefly98 Junior Member

I bought my plow new in 02. There was a recall where you had to cut off the handle on the mounting pins and replace the roll pins with bolts. It was my understanding the long handle on the mounting pin was hitting things like frozen banks and turning. If the pin turned it would shear off the roll pin.