1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ksland, Dec 17, 2004.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I was looking at Boss plows with there smart hitch system. They show 3 easy steps, unplug, pull the 2 pins, and hit the switch. What about the leg that holds the plow up? Doesn't that have to be lowered and raised each time?

2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

It takes all of about 2 seconds. Pull the pin and it drops. Pull the pin and lift up. I have left it down several times and had no problems. I realized it once when I went down a curb and bottomed out on it.

I can say that I LOVE my BOSS over any other plow I have used. :)

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The V plows dont have a leg.

4. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Doesn't the switch on the side add downward pressure if you used it connected to the truck? It seems they could wire the controller inside to do this for backdragging, no?

5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Oh, and what happens if you blow a line in the lift cylinder, how would you hold the plow up to transport?

And, when backdragging...not in float does the lift cylinder stay rigid so the plow doesn't ride over the snow? I am assuming yes...which would make this a better plow to backdrag then say my chain lifted Fisher MM2. You think they would point this out in their selling media.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  6. j&j properties

j&j properties Junior Member

my thoughts on "the BOSS"

my boss 7'6" standard doesn't have the smarthitch but it is a very similar on off process and the same mount on the truck...and it really is that easy!

As far as down-pressure for backdragging theirs plenty from the cab control and the smarthitch option is not meant to add down pressure or to be used as a plow control device just an on and off assist.

Hope this was of some help to someone:)

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Boss does not have down pressure.

8. tired

tired Junior Member

easy

boss has a great idea with the smart hitch i have had one for 3 years just make sure your on a level surface and they work great. if you have a few extra dollers the v-plow will cut your time by a third

9. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Yes it really is that fast, have a brand new BOSS this year, 8' HD tripedge.

Takes longer to get in and out of the truck that to hook the plow up!!

10. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

I like my Smarthitch2.....Hardest part is lining up the truck to the plow. I'm getting better everytime....last few times I did on the first run. Gotta be close to the slide-in points,,,sort of like backing to a trailer hitch. Really hard to tell if you're an inch off sometimes. The hitch itself works flawlessly.....Once lined up, it takes less than 30 seconds to hitch up and go.

My dealer said that the Smarthitch and Smarthitch2 are basically the same hitches, except the SH2 uses power to raise the tower, while the regular SH uses manual labor to push the tower up. ;)

11. Haworth's

Haworth's Junior Member

I have a Boss 8' HD tripedge. This plow is the best plow I ever bought. I also own a Fisher and Curtis and neither compare. Next year I'm trading my 99' f 350 with the Fisher in for a f 550 and I will get a Boss 9' HD tripedge. I can load the plow in less than a minute and it has great response. It is far superior to the Fishers. Just my 2 cents.

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Haworth's

If you are getting a 550 next year you should look at the Blizzard 8611 with power hitch. Just a thought.

13. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

Try putting a thin piece of tape vertically on your left plow light and a thin piece of tape vertically on your hood mounted bug guard (if you have one).

Place them so they "line up" when you approach your plow for hook up.

I did this a few years ago with my boss and I haven't "missed" it while hooking up once.

14. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

if you don't have bug guard, simply lean over towards the passenger side and sight down the body line in the hood. Aim right for the middle of the dip in the light tower. i hit it every time.