1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss plow problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jrmyj1, Dec 7, 2007.

1. jrmyj1

jrmyj1 Junior Member

this has been the best year for snow so far and of coarse my plow is acting up. sometimes the plow will not do anything and when you try to lift it or lower it or do anything with it it just clicks. when i shake the harrness it usally will work again. im hoping someone can help me with this one because we suppose to get snow for the next 4 days and not able to get it checked out. thanks guys

jeremy johnson

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

You have a bad connection somewhere you need to go through it. Try lithiam grease on the connections as well. My guess.
  3. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, what have you looked at or tried so far? Is jiggling the harness the only thing you have done? Are your connections clean? Is there fluid in the reservoir? Is anything loose?

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have to use a small bungee cord to have pressure pulling up on mine or it clicks like that.
    I replaced the plow side power cable. (red/black) but it is still doing it so I have to replace the truck side connection.

Cleaning it and the grease helps but not much.
    If I don't use the bungee I have to get out of truck 50 times an play with the power connection.

I never had a problem with the square pin connector just the power supply line.
  6. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

d i e l e c t r i c grease swear by it people
  7. clean and grease

I have rolled up a piece of emery cloth with some solvent (pb powerblaster)
    and 'cleaned' the receiving holes
    then reversed the process with the pin ends

then--gently spread the pin ends with your jack knife
    (what no jack knife?? whats wrong with these kids)

then dialectric grease and store it greased and covered
  8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

if wiggling your big plug help's,clean them out with break clean blow them out with compressed air ,use dielectric grease if you have to get through the storm tie the two plug's together with wire tie's until you can replace them if that does it.
  9. Kys03Rigger

Kys03Rigger Junior Member

Where I mounted my connectors they wiggle loose when I hit heavy snow piles and mine stops working just like your's is. I just make sure every time I disconnect the plow that the connections are clean and packed with di-electric grease. I also zip-tie the main connector when I know Im going to be out for awhile.
  10. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Pump Motor

Hey, don't rule out the electric pump motor maybe on the way out. Just went through the same thing you describe. My 8.2 Vee is only 3 yrs old and we just replaced the electric pump motor. brushes worn right out.

10 minute check:
    Easy to check, just remove the 2 long bolts that secure the motor to the pump, don't be surprised to find a load of metal dust in there.
    Inspect the shaft and brushes, likely time for a rebuild if it's full of dust.
    Any good alt/starter rebuild shop can do a total rebuild for around a 100 bucks...

Good luck... if all else falls ensure your red / black cables are connecting tight, I have seen the male terminals require slight spreading of the head to get it to make the connection in the female plug.... keep them well greased

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:yup sounds like he has a dirty or loose plug.
    Clean it like Avtare susgests.
  12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

make sure that the battery connections for the plow pump are tight, i had one loosed up and the plow stopped working, in the middle of a busy road, with a huge pile of snow in front of the blade. yep that was fun.
  13. jumper

helped a friend

We ended up taking my jumper cables and going direct to the
    motor red/black mounts.

That bypassed the connector ( that was bad and warranted the effort
    to clean)

just a thought
  14. JCplowboy

JCplowboy Junior Member

I just went through the same problem, add to that an intermittent right wing no return.
    Found the pig tail for the valve and head light control harness had a broken wire at the molded connector, dealer installed a new pig tail.

As for the pump not working, I had them install a new relay. My old one only worked in the barn with the heat on!

Sounds like you have a problem at the plug though.

Is there power across the relay when you hear it clicking? One red wire is direct from the battery the other is hot when the relay closes. This means one side is always hot or +12V.
    If you have power at one terminal only and you hear it trying to pull in, you have a bad relay.