1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss plow problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by xmasguy, Dec 2, 2008.

1. xmasguy

xmasguy Junior Member

Hey guys

I have a boss 7'6" straight blade and it goes down but real slow. I put a new flow valve in it because the old one could not be adjusted any more (rusted). Put new flow valve thinking that would solve problem but nope. Just looking for a little guidance as to what to check. Plow goes up down left right no problem but going down really slow. Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

RT2 or RT3?

3. xmasguy

xmasguy Junior Member

RT3 it has the smart hitch with the old style hookup switch move it down get in truck and hit the raise buttom and lights come back
    I was working on it tonight took pump/motor and valve body out to clean it. I bought lift/lower valve put it in and didn't make any difference. Moved the valve to other port that is the same valve and it solved my down problem but made raise real slow. Took old valve put it back in other port same size and what do ya know it solved the problem up down(adjustable now). Weird. Have alot of metal shavings in the resevoir. I think I have a bad bearing the is between motor and pump. Does that sound right? Where are metal shavings coming from?

Thanks
    Ready for storm on Wed here

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually what you likely have is a lift cylinder issue. They will expel metal as their coming apart inside..and will travel through the system.

Would certainly explain a slow drop issue on both accounts as well...the strange valve actions and the slow drop both.

A good flush should restore it too good operation but don't be surprised if it happens again so you definitely want to consider a new lift cylinder soon, and also another thorough flush at the same time.