1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow Problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hoppes, Dec 21, 2007.

1. hoppes

hoppes Junior Member

Hopfuly someone can help. i have a 2004 boss 9'2" v blade i can go for a while plowing but the power cylinoide under the hood will melt right down. anyone know what could be causing this? its getting a little costly to replace everything we plow.
  2. wpprice

wpprice Junior Member

Sounds to me your pump motor is drawing to many amps, have you checked the brushes and armature?
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are you using a solenoid from an auto parts store or a boss solenoid?

Boss solenoids are heavy duty the ones you get from the parts store can't take the power draw that can exceed 50 amps.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if you need a hd solenoid napa sell a continuous use solenoid

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Poor ground, hight resistance in a power cable connection or a failing motor.

Over or under tightening the terminal post nuts on the solenoid will also burn them down..

Too tight and it fractures the connection inside the solenoid body. It will still work usually but adds a lot of electrical resistance to the connection.

Not tight enough of course add resistance also due to the poor connection.