1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow on dirt?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by GMCHD plower, Dec 23, 2009.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, I was wondering how many of you plow dirt driveways with boss plows (v's mostly). Does the float function work well? Do they dig up the dirt alot? Thanks

2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

unless the ground is frozen they will dig in.

I never run feet, always just lift a little and skim untill the snow is a base. No issues yet. :drinkup:

I'd say 45-50% of what I plow is gravel. Industrial park.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

It will definately dig in. You might try back dragging it until you get a solid base.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not really sure what you're asking there. Follows the ground coutures like any other plow...

No more or less than any other 800 lb plow. Digging (or not) is mostly in the operators techniques and ground conditions.

5. GMCHD plower

Ok thanks for all the responses guys.

6. GMCHD plower

The reason I'm asking is even though I'm 14 once I get my license the 09 GMC in my sig is going to be mine and I want to put a plow on it. The plow I buy will be dependant on how it does with my 2 350' dirt driveways. So I wanted to know how well these do on dirt.

7. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Boss sells plow shoes for that very reason. Ask your friend who has one if he uses his plow on dirt and how well the shoes work.

8. GMCHD plower

Ya we're going to test it. He just bought the truck last week and we haven't had a plowable event.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No one plow is going to perform better on gravel than another. Due to the geometry of the cutting edge combined with several hundred pounds of steel, they all will dig into unfrozen gravel. The key is to hold the blade up a bit until the frost is a few inches thick. Once everything is frozen, drop the blade and let her rip.

10. GMCHD plower

Ya I know. I just wanted to see what everyones experience with boss plows on dirt is. I've always liked fisher but now with my friend having a boss I started looking into them

11. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

One of the threads on here it was recommended to weld on some round barstock to the bottom of your cutting edges. Never seen it done before but makes sense

12. Deco

Deco Senior Member

interesting idea, wonder if it corrects the issue .

13. GMCHD plower

It probably would work on dirt. But once you have to do pavment it defeats the purpose of having a cutting edge.

14. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I use my VXT to plow about 5 miles of dirt road. Before it's really frozen, the feet do nothing. Only real solution is having a light touch on the controller. The pipe solution might be a good one - I haven't tried it yet as the ground freezes here in October and doesn't thaw until June.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

must be nice......