1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow motor runs after lifted

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by duckhunter112, Feb 22, 2011.

1. duckhunter112

duckhunter112 Junior Member

I have a 8'2" V_PLOW RT3
    About every third time I lift or move a wing on the plow the motor will continue to run for 3-5 seconds after I let go of the controler button. and every once in a while it will run longer.
    Any help would be great.
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Could be a Solenoid going bad or possibly the controller.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You might need a new switch on the tower.
  4. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

When you lift the plow if you get a double bounce on the up button the plow will keep going up even if you lt go of the button. Then shuts off after a couple seconds-see voltage gage drop.
    I took apart my worn out controller and saw the rubber push bottons on back side are a conductive pad. This presses against the circuit board and shorts two nearby copper traces for a switch. If the controller pads are sticking to the circuit board it could be causing what you describe. Unfortunately its not easy to disassemble as they used RTV to attach the pad to the circuit board in certain areas but you could try to clean with alcohol- if this is the problem. My old controller center rubber up-down button is ripped 3/4 clean and is showing direct access to the circuit board-dust dirt- damp is getting in there. I want to fix and use as backup.
  5. duckhunter112

I replaced the hand held controller already.
  6. jklawn&Plow

So the solenoid might be sticking-can you hear it click on/off when you press the buttons?
  7. duckhunter112

I replaced the solenoid yesterday,
    I the manual troubleshooting it points to the solenoid, so that was a cheap try.
    Worst thing is it works fine 90% of the time.
  8. jklawn&Plow

So there's no 12V at the plow once the solenoid opens up. You say it does this moving a wing? not just the quick up function.
  9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

For the motor to be running power has to be coming out of the solenoid. So couldn't you see if you have 12 volts on the little wire on the solenoid when you let off the controller. If the little wire has 12v when you let off the controller I would think it would be the controller is bad still sending power to the solenoid. If the little wire doesn't have 12v when you let off the contoller and the motor still runs then the solenoid is sticking.

I am not 100% sure on this, I know more about westerns but seems to be the same idea. Hope it helps, good luck.
  10. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

That's how I would check it also.
  11. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I have a 2011 VXT and it runs for 1-2 secs after I let let go up.
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 7 6 standard that does this but runs more than 5 seconds after I let go of up or angle left or right... This plow came from another truck used and I believe the issues were corrosion in the connector where the co troller hooks to thd harness...it was left outside for a week prior up install :( but o agree... Usually the solenoid or controller or harness connector to the controller