1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss plow maintainence

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rec067, Oct 17, 2002.

1. rec067

rec067 Member

Any body know how much atf the boss 8' super duty takes to completely flush and fill the whole system?

Any helpful hints (first year with the boss)

I also have a gallon of blue, aircraft grade hydro oil i ordered for my old Meyer plow, can I use this in the boss or should I suck up the lost and use amsoil atf?

Thanks in advance for input........

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

:rolleyes: It should have two quarts of Boss Hydraulic fluid on hand, to do your fluid service,(as recomended by Boss) the Meyer hydraulic fluid will work just fine. If you do have ATF in your system try to flush as much as you can out before refilling, and don't forget to drain the cylinders and hoses. John

3. rec067

rec067 Member

Thanks Garagekeeper, good to know. I did finally find some info on the Chuck Smith's site about flushing. And I think I will do the Kerosen flush. This plow was on a brand new 2000 truck and has never seen service. I picked it up for only 1500.00 Just the same I don't want any trouble so I wante to go through the whole plow and do prevenitive maintainence be fore gets any colder

4. FORDNUT

FORDNUT Junior Member

Boss Plow Maint.

The proper procedure for your Boss maint. is as follows.
    Drain reservoir, remove turn ram hoses and drain turn
    rams, reassemble and fill with 2 3/4 quarts of genuine boss
    hydraulic oil or a hydraulic oil with a mil5606 spec. Other oils will
    work but this is preferred. Happy plowing

5. rec067

rec067 Member

Thanks for the info....How do you guys feel about Chuck Smith's Kerosene flushing? One of the local truck /plow parts advising against it. He is afraid of the kerosene in the system, possibe damage and residual reducing lubrication due to being a solvent.

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Kerosene is a solvent, yes. A solvent is necessary to remove sludge and deposits from the system. Kerosene will not harm O rings and seals. Ask the "local plow parts" place how they remove deposits and sludge from a hydraulic system.

Believe me, Kerosene is a much better lubricant than the milky water and oil that is in many hydraulic systems. Like I outlined on my site, flush with Kerosene, refill the system, and if you are paranoid, circulate the fresh fluid once, and drain it again.

If you try to flush without a solvent, you will never remove sludge and deposits. At NO time do I recommend flushing the pump with Kerosene, just the rams and reservoir. Though I personally don't think the Kerosene would hurt the pump itself.

I know the Meyer service manual recommends Kerosene to flush the system. On Monday, I will look in our CAT Service Manuals and see what CAT recommends....

~Chuck

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have used kerosene to flush and clean all hydraulic systems I have ever done. Running them through a pump has never been a problem. Often a lot of sludge can accumulate there, causing fluid not to flow as well.

I do not know if there is some "official solvent" but all the shops around me use kerosene.

8. rec067

rec067 Member

Got to believe there is much more knowledge on this site than at the nearby store! Thanks for chiming in guys.

Went to flush the cylinders and discovered that they very much different than my myers. No quick disconnects, a third lift cylinder to lift, and unable to move plow by myself( no help around). Can this be done on the truck? Is there a filter screen in the Boss? (didn't start pulling plugs to look) The manual that came with the plow sucks....

9. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Boss maintance

With only one year of use I wouldn't expect to find and sludge or deposits in you pump. There is a screen in the tank on the pump suction tube, so you would have to remove the power unit and tank to service it. If you are still going to use your Meyer fluid just continue to drain the system and refill as you would with the ATF. And change again after a few uses. John