1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow Lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Welderguy24, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

So I'm currently going through the plow and getting everything ready. I had a low beam out on the driver side on the plow so i went to pull the bezel off and 3 of the 4 screws that hold the bezel onto the main molded plastic headlight housing snaped right off...... tried visegrips and tried grinding them down and drilling out with both right and left handed drill bits but nothing works so far.

Anybody else had this problem? Its driving me nuts. Any ideas would be great

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

new lights....

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep and that's why a little Fluid Film on the screws when they're out pay off big down the road. I always pull brand new ones out and add the FF right then and there, saves me or the customer a fit later on.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Fluid Fil is a lifesaver

5. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

alright, thanks guys. i worked a little magic and got that valance piece to stay on for now. probably get some new lights later on.

P.S. Picked up some FF today, lets see if its as good as everyone says

6. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Old post but I thought I would share. Yesterday same thing happened to me 3 broken bezel screws. Long story short, I used a hot air gun to warm the plastic enough to score and remove enough plastic,(3/8?) to get vise grips on the screws.
    The heat didn't destroy housing ( took my time) and screws came out easy. I FF ALL screws and back together now.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Good idea.

8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

2nd that, im gonna try that. Same thing happened to me when I was trying to replace the 2 mounting bolts, broke 3 of the 4 and I only did one light! So im gonna redo that one with heat and finish the other side with heat! Thanks for sharing

9. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

Had the exact same issue happen to me - I'm going to try the hair-dryer suggestion as well. Thank you!

10. 2004chevy2500hd

The problem that I have it that three of the tips of the head snapped off. There is still some thread holding the exterior plastic bracket on. I tried heating up the plastic around each broken screw and managed to get one more loose - (halfway there). The two remaining screws are still holding the bracket on. I tried to heat 'em up and gently/forcefully pull/pry the bracket off. No dice. My next thought would be to price out the exterior bracket (MSC04734 $15) and weigh the option of possibly breaking it...If I break it - is it worth another $15...I even thought about trying to drill out the broken screws. Decisions...decisions.

11. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

I guess I would try to drill off head of screw to remove bezel trim. Could always use a larger pan head screw? To replace trim. Cheaper than $15. When you get trim off, remove light housing then you are inside with room to spare to heat plastic and remove old screws.
    On my rt3 there is a ground wire in housing I squeezed the clips tighter, they seemed loose. FF it all also.

12. 2004chevy2500hd

johnslawn - thank you for the suggestion - I'll give it a whirl in the AM. I'll take pics and keep you guys posted.

Thanks again!!