1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow lights won't turn off.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by crow5716, Feb 10, 2014.

1. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

I have been searching for an answer to my problem. It seems a lot of people are having an issue with their lights not turning on. I am having an issue with it not turning off.

If I have the truck/plow light switch set to plow and turn my headlights on they turn on no problem. While I have my headlights on, I can use the truck/plow switch to change between the 2 no problem. However if I have it set to plow lights and turn off my headlights then the plow lights stay on. If I have it set to truck lights and turn my headlights off they turn off no problem. If I turn my headlights off or shut my truck off I have to switch from plow to truck and then back to plow to get them to shut off.

I've had this plow on my truck for 3 years with no issues. Last night my solenoid went out and I replaced it. I also blew one of the 10 amp fuses going to the solenoid in the process of replacing it. I made sure all the wiring was hooked back up just the way it came off. I did one wire at a time from old solenoid to new solenoid. I checked me relays.

The parking lights turn off when I turn off all my lights on the truck. Just the plow headlights stay on for some reason. If I pull a fuse and then put it back in the lights will turn off. Seems like a relay is staying powered somehow. But I checked them all. Also doesn't the plow headlights get it's power directly from the truck headlights? How can they stay on if the truck lights are off?

What could the problem be. Please help. Thanks

-crow

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

My first guess is you have a ground problem. Grounding issues will do very strange things that are hard to diagnose.
    Check the grounds. Or you put something back together wrong.
    Some how the coil in the relay is getting power to stay on.
    Is this on both High and Low?

3. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

It was working fine before I replaced the solenoid last night, so I can't see a ground issue. And like I said I replaced one wire at a time transferring it from the old one to the new one to make sure they were hooked up right. It was a long and late night when the solenoid went out and I was changing it in the middle of a parking lot in the snow so I didn't disconnect the battery right at first when I was unbolting the solenoid mount from my truck and it sparked real bad. After the spark I disconnected the battery to do the job. I don't know if that would have done anything. It did blow one of the 10A fuses on a wire going to the solenoid but I replaced it. The plow works. Parking lights, turn signals, Plow up down, V and scoop all work. Just the headlights continue to get power after I shut them off.

I didn't try high beam to low beam and see if that works yet. I'll try that tomorrow.

-crow

4. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

I have been driving myself crazy starring at this wiring diagram all night. I understand how all the relays in the green area work. I understand that the only way the plow headlights get their power is from the truck lights power highlighted in blue. So I have no idea how these lights are staying on with no power.

There are some area's of this diagram I highlighted in red that I can't figure out at all. It's the only part I don't understand. Could be the problem, who knows. Can someone explain what the red relay does?

[​IMG]

-crow

5. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

Here's an update. If I have the plow/truck light switch set to plow and turn my high beams on then one of the relays starts making this awful sound and nothing works.

I removed the relay that I highlighted in red (see above) and everything works fine. Just like it suppose to. Lights turn on and off no problem and high beam to low beam switches fine. I am still not 100% sure how the red highlighted relay works. I understand it gets constant power from the battery and the relay get's activated from the lights but I don't understand which one is positive and negative coming in.

I am so confused because this truck ran fine for the past 3 years before I replaced the solenoid.
    I have the vehicle make connector hooked up correct because it had been working for years.
    The dual burn wire placement is connected to he correct spot.

What happened? Please help? Why can't I plug this relay in anymore? It's a brand new relay in case anyone is wondering. Bought it last night thinking that was the problem.

-crow

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  6. maxwellp

This is a good one?
    Something has happened when you chaged the solenoid and got the sparks.
    That red relay is the duel burn relay.
    Because it all worked before , you must have a short or burnt wire. Look in all the little relay plugs and make sure they are all ok and plugged in. It is possible to have one wire back out.
    I wired a 2001 dodge that did not work with Boss factory wiring, I had to cut and add wires to get the duel burn to work. But since this did work this is not your problem.
    Is the duel burn wire hooked up to the relay or the battery?

7. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

The duel burn wire is connected to the battery positive. Which is how the instructions have it for a 95 Dodge.

All of the relays must be working properly because I wouldn't be able to turn my headlights on and switch between high and low otherwise. The only issue could be the red highlighted relay. I will inspect it further tomorrow. I did use a new relay in there and it made a funny noise like it was frying it.

Going to double check the vehicle make connector to. Even though I know it was connected right because it had been working for the past few years. Going to flip flop it to see what kind of results it produces.

I'm at a loss right now.

-crow

8. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

Ok, so today I spent a good amount of time outside today tracing wiring and putting a test light on everything while turning everything on and off multiple times in different ways.

I'm starting to think my duel burn never worked in the first place. Possibly.

Anywhere here are my findings. I highlighted positive wires in red and negative wires in blue. The duel burn relay currently has every input coming in positive. I only highlighted the wires directly dealing with the relay issue I am having.

[​IMG]

And here is my idea of how I have to change it to make it work...

[​IMG]

Any opinions on why the Boss diagram has positive wires going in to every tab on the duel burn relay? You need at least one ground for the relay to work, correct?

-crow

9. maxwellp

I will try to find the wiring diagram I made for the one I did. Maybe this Dodge has the same wiring as mine does. It took a liitle time but I got it all to work. Like I had said I had to cut and add wires to make it work.

10. bossman34

bossman34 Member

Sorry to hear that your having issues, I just wanted to chime in.. I have been a mechanic for 17 years and have run across all sorts of funny issues... I have never had this one, but the scenario sounds familiar. I have learned several hard lessons over the years... In a case like this the answer will be simple, and obvious once you locate it. Here is the point... Always if you have issues after you have made a repair... go back to that.. I know what that sound is when a relay buzzes, I had one do it last week at work... You said that you shorted out and threw sparks.. This most likely didn't cause the issue directly, but it does stress the grounds... I would go back and take apart all ground to body and battery... clean and reattach.. The relay cant close if it doesn't get a good ground and since there is basically no draw on the mag side of the relay it doesn't have the pull to get ground through a bad connection.. The short you had may have "burnt" the ground and now isn't getting the full 12 volt ground... I would not go any further until you have checked them... as you said you have to ground.. Good luck. I read this and have overlooked simple things and assuming things are good because it works before..

11. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

I think that when i sparked something when replacing the relay it made parts of the dual burn start working. I never had the duel burn working. I know for a fact that if I switched between high beams and low beams it would only have high beams or just low beams. I thought the duel burn was a feature you had to add on. I am now realizing that my 5 relays pack includes dual burn and that is what is causing the issue. Something started working that was never set up right from the beginning.

Maxwellp, I would be very interested in seeing the wiring diagram you made up that worked.

Bossman, the relay isn't buzzing. It's more like a horrible sound like I'm frying it. I don't have any ground coming in to the relay in question. Every input is positive which leads me to believe that the default Boss setup was flawed from the beginning for my particular truck. The relay needs a positive and a ground coming in to each end of the magnet. It currently has positive coming in on each side of the magnet. So I don't think the issue is a bad ground somewhere. The issue is a lack of a ground wire even existing. Take a close look at my diagram that I highlighted positive and negatives in red for the current default boss set up.

-crow

12. maxwellp

First off let me say that I do not know if this will work for yours (95 Dodge) this was on a 2001. From 99-2002 ish Dodge Powered the headlights all the time and the on/off is controlled with the ground.
    So this is what I had to do to make the duel burn work on a 2001.
    When I wired it up as per BOSS instructions I got the same buzzing coil noise you have.

So this is what I changed.

The RED/WHITE wire goes to ground

The WHITE/YELLOW wire from the 5th (duel burn) relay to the center relay gets cut.

The other WHITE/YELLOW in the center relay is left alone. Just cap cut wire, not reused.

The WHITE/YELLOW wire from the 5th relay gets run to Batt +.

This has been working on this truck now for 3 years with no problems.

Also I have the relays labeled differently than you but I not positive that it is correct. After I got mine working I stopped and did not look into why it worked.
    Going from the top duel burn relay down in the picture I have them in this order, Duel burn - High beam - Power - Low beam - Main on/off
    So that would make the blue wire high beam, white wire power and the red wire low beam.
    I think in your case because of year the White power wire would be a ground then.
    If I am right about the white wire the BOSS wiring for you truck will get a ground to the Duel Burn relay from the same white/ yellow wire I cut.

This may or may not help.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  13. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

Hmmm, the way you did that will definitely not work for me since your headlight positive and ground are different than mine.

I have an idea on how to make this work for my truck. If I am successful then I will make sure to do a new thread/write up with a diagram.

-crow

14. crow5716

crow5716 Junior Member

Just a quick update. My idea I had to fix this problem worked perfect.

-crow

15. maxwellp

Cool, I am going to save your picture for later if this comes up again.