1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS Plow Hydraulic Pump Problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CleanCut217, Jan 7, 2014.

1. CleanCut217

CleanCut217 Junior Member
    from 62702

I have a 8ft Boss RT3 thats about 10 years old. Yesterday it started going slow when it would raise up, but turning side to side was completely fine. Sometimes it would cut out and not do anything, then come back on. When I got back to the shop I checked the fluid and it was low so I filled it up. Also on the way to the shop it quit working and had to drive there with it an inch off the ground. I cant get the pump to turn on anymore. What could be wrong?

I have checked for a good ground. I have power getting to the pump when I push the buttons on the remote as well as the smart switch. I know that the solenoid is functioning properly. What else can I check. I really hope its not the pump. I think its an electrical issue since it was cutting in and out on me. I have checked to make sure the harnness' are pushed together good and they are. Help!!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. CleanCut217

from 62702

No one has any clue?

3. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I read that you checked your harness connection. Take it apart and check all the pins on the plow side. There is a pin that is known for breaking off after the years.

4. CleanCut217

from 62702

I actually checked those. Also I sprayed it all out with wd40 to make sure there wasnt any water in there.

Update on the problem. I tapped the motor while pushing one of the buttons and the motor started working again. Still working fine side to side. Barley goes up still. Then I tapped on the coils and it shot up for a second and then slow again.

So NOW, heres my question. Why did the pump completely stop working until I tapped on the motor. Did it just kick out because it couldnt flow the fluid?

Also now that I have pin pointed it down to the coil for the up and down, what do I need to replace and could there be a blockage in there somewhere?

5. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

6. CleanCut217

from 62702

I know what the problem is. I am wondering if the solenoid coil that releases the fluid to go up is all one part or if there are multiple parts I need to order and also if there is a screen in there or something that could cause a blockage in fluid.

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You "tapped" the motor while hitting the buttons on the controller and it started working and you don't think it's the motor?...

8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I would put a motor on it. Take an amp reading on the motor. Take the motor off and look at the brushes.

9. CleanCut217

from 62702

Yea but it works perfectly fine side to side. I think the motor cut out after trying to push the fluid through when the solenoid wasn't open

10. CleanCut217

from 62702

Is there a write up anywhere on how to do this?

11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

There is a little screen at the end of the lift valve. Go on the boss website and find the diagram for your hydraulic manifold model to determine which is the lift valve. You should also check to see if the coil over that valve is working properly. Have someone hold a metal object, (wrench) next to the coil. When the lift is pressed, the coil should magnetize and pull the wrench to it. Also check for corrosion under the coil, it will interfere with opening and closing that valve.

12. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Side to side will often work well in a failing pump. Suggest you check the draw on the pump motor, clean all screens as suggested above, eliminate elecrical issues by checking the grounds etc. I would not be surprised at all if the pump needs to be replaced. They don't last forever.

13. Quickledo

Quickledo Junior Member
    from 45840

Sounds like the motor brushes are stuck/seized in their holders and won't contact the armature effectively. Either clean and lube (fairly easy) the brushes so they will move/slide freely, or get a new/rebuilt motor. Good Luck.

14. CleanCut217

from 62702

Thanks for the help guys. I will see what I can get done.

15. CleanCut217

from 62702

Update... got a new motor and put it on as well as a new solenoid for the up hydraulic. I am still having problems with the plow going up and then it will stop. You then have to sit and tap the up button until it is all the way up. I'm stumped

16. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

When you say "new solenoid for the up hydraulic" do you mean the coil over the lift valve on the manifold?

17. CleanCut217

from 62702

Yes sorry. I replaced the whole solenoid coil. Also the down screen on the coil is clean because I checked that one. And I also checked to make sure I was getting magnetism on the up coil after I installed it. The fluid level is where it should be. If you move the blade side to side, then go down and then up the blade will go half way up and then it will stop and that's when you have to start tapping the button to make it go up the rest of the way. Now if it is up and you let it down and go right back up it won't even budge. If that info helps at all. It seems to me that there is a block in the flow of hydraulic fluid somehow but I have checked the hoses and screens in the up and down coils.

18. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

grounds

find the wire that is grounding your up solenoid. make sure it has a clean connection. the fact that your only issue is when going up makes me beleive it may be that. Also take out the up valve and push on the end of it with an allen wrench to make sure it moves as it is supposed to.

19. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Ok, did you follow the torque specs when retightening the nut on that coil and lift valve? I made that mistake before and wound up squishing the lift valve into itself. It does not take much to do this. I believe the correct torque instructions from Boss was to hand tighten the nut with a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, thats it!

20. CleanCut217

from 62702

The ground is good on the valve. When you say I could have squished the valve, if I loosen the nut will be it fine again? I'll pull it out and see if it moves like it's supposed to

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014