1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss plow help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Baseball1, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Baseball1

Baseball1 Junior Member

I have a 8'2 boss poly v on a 2000 f250 super duty. Everything worked just fine 2 weeks ago when i was getting it ready for the season. I put it back on yesterday and it doesn't work! I plug it all in and the plow stands right up and locks in just fine but i have no controls. I have a joystick mounted controller. the power swich on that does not light up. It did 2 weeks ago. The wires are all hooked good, went threw all that like three times. When you push the switch to lift the plow all you can here is a click at the solenoid. Could that cause the light not to come on? I checked voltage at the solenoid, the incoming side shows good voltage until you push the switch then it drops to about 3 volts. When you check the outgoing side with button pushed it only shows about 3.5 volts. I would think the solenoid is bad but would like other opinions b4 i start spending money! Why would the solenoid change the power light swithch on the controller? Thanks for all the help!

2. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Had a very similar problem with a boss straight blade a few weeks ago. I took some brake cleaner (dont recomend using this unless the power source is unplugged or you could start a fire) and a wire brush and really cleaned the plugs out on both sides. Any corrosion or junk in either side will mess you up. I also put a good dab of dielectric grease on the male ends. Try that first. I had the clicking and everything you had, it wasn't the solenoid. For the $40.00 each side I would think about replacing both the plugs, they get worn out after a while.

3. Baseball1

Baseball1 Junior Member

Thanks i just went and did that but no result. I cleaned both plugs very well and the only thing that changed is now i cant even run the plow, the switch on the plow to take it off. When I hit that switch i get nothing except a click on the solenoid. Got me puzzled, and of course now it's snowing! haha

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have a poor power or ground connection. There isn't enough of one or the other to supply everything though the plow harness. In addition to all the large cables this include the small red and brown wires that should be on the battery terminals. When the pump tries to come on it's consuming what little power/ground is available and therefore shuts down the relay pack, thus the controller too.

5. Baseball1

Baseball1 Junior Member

Well you were right! Thanks for the help. I kept working on all the connections, for way to long, It is the main red and black wires. The two prong plug in. I got it working but i'm going to have to replace them because everytime the plow slams back into the V it stops working. I have to get out and wiggle them. Not doing that all winter! haha Oh, i cleaned the connections at the battery also, for the smaller wires.
    Thanks again for the quick response!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012