1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow headlight issues

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RNRlandscapes, Nov 2, 2013.

1. RNRlandscapes

RNRlandscapes Junior Member

Hi guys, first time poster but have browsed for months. We installed a boss rt3 8'2" v plow on my brothers '04 silverado 2500hd and it keeps blowing fuses when we try the brights. Weather it's the truck side or plow we have no brights and the fuses pop when we try. Also, the truck and plow headlights are both on when we have switch to plow. When truck side is selected everything works except high beams.

Wiring was originally off. Ford I believe and we got new headlight harnesses (msc04601) for 04 chevy. Wiring has 4 relays. Plow is smart hitch 2 if that makes any difference.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

2. RNRlandscapes

Tried standard and reverse orientation to no avail. Also tried swapping relays to see if had a bad one maybe???

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have at least one of the adapters plugged in backward. They'll go one of two ways but only one way is correct for the model year you're working on. Which all need to be on the "A' side.

4. RNRlandscapes

Thanks B&B.

5. RNRlandscapes

Have them all on "a" and still no luck...

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'll assure you it's still an installer issue. Either you're not reading the plugs orientation correctly or you have the option plug still plugged in on the reverse orientation instead of the standard orientation. Or you're connecting the adapter to themselves (eventually looped). Because they're the only things that'll blow fuses and/or cause both the truck and plow lamps to be on together.

7. RNRlandscapes

Ok I will check everything again today. Thank you

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod::nod: Mike nailed it right on the head. You are just wasting your time if you look for any other issue. Just go back to the starting point and do it all again confirming you have the proper orientation.:waving:

9. RNRlandscapes

Double, triple checked that all connections are on "A" and also standard orientation. Still popping hi beam fuses when flip them to brights. Relay or something maybe?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it pop hi beam fuses without the plow plugged in? If it does, then one of your new headlight adapters was pinned incorrectly from the factory. Don't see it very often but I have seen it.

The fact that the truck and plow lights are on at the same time says it's a configuration issue. Mis-pinned etc.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013