1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS plow for GMC 1500

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Kollerman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Hey guys,

I need your opinion. Can you please look at this ebay ad and see if this would be a good plow for me to start out with? I have a 2000 GMC 1500 ext cab short box and have been looking for a plow for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=280193572110&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

It seems like a pretty good deal so far. This is my first plow I will be buying, so I want to make sure I get a good one.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

looks pretty good to me... i have a boss and love it!

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I should be fine.
    I have a 02 1500 Z71 with a Boss SUPER duty 7'6" and it is fine, however I would recomend that you put Timbrens on your front end for support and better driving. Also it is nice to add a second battery, pretty easy

Best of luck
    Mike C

4. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

How about the price as well guys? I understand that there are 3 days left yet on the auction, but would $2000 - $2500 be a good price for the complete setup?

Like I said, this is my first time buying a plow, so I want to make sure I am not getting ripped off.

Thanks again.

Jeremy

5. 10elawncare

well for reference... i paid 4250 for a 8' trip-edge installed.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  6. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Well the $2000 - $2500 doesn't sound that bad, but I am sure your's was new?

The reason I am looking for a plow is because I cut lawn as a side business in the summer time and many people have asked me if I do snow removal as well. I have always had to say no, but next year I would like to give them the option of me doing both. I want a good plow to use. If I land the jobs, I will have quite a few residential places, so I figure a straight blade is the way to go. This way I can also use the truck I have and don't have to get a new one. It seems by reading most of the posts on here that you guys are pretty honest in your opinions, so I thought everyone would be a great reference tool in helping me decide if a plow is good or not, as long as which kind to buy.

Thanks once again or everyone's help. I think I am going to place a bid!

Jeremy

7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

How about the price as well guys?

I bought mine on ebay also. I paid $2400 for the plow and all the hardware, controls and wiring. (and the guy loaded it for me). I had it checked at a local plow shop for $100 and had the mount installed and wired for $300.

I bought the timbrens for $80 or $90 and bought a Code 3 420 strobe light for the roof and a used Toro blower for $175

8. 10elawncare

well good luck Kollerman. seems like its in good condition. it said "We are a Boss approved retailer if you are looking to put this on a different vehicle." maybe see how much they would charge you for install.

9. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Thanks guys. I actually did ask them already if they could install it on my truck, but they said they could not. They would provide me with a local dealer to go to though that would install it for me. The guy said they only sell BOSS parts, not do installs.

That's ok though. I have a local shop up here in Sheboygan that will put in on for me.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A Boss standard duty makes an excellent first plow, especially on a 1/2 ton truck.

They're also tougher than most other brands of "standard" classified plows.

Looks to be in pretty nice condition too.
    $2000-$2500 wouldn't be out of line for that plow.

11. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

12. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

BOSS Plow

Guys,

This plow is on Ebay again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=280198578639&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

I am just wondering if this is going to be too much weight for my truck? I checked the BOSS site and it says that I would have to put 525lbs of ballast weight. Is this too much weight for a 1/2 ton truck?

I need your advise quick cause I want to hit the buy it now button as soon as possible if this is going to work out for my truck.

Thanks.

Jeremy

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck would handle it just fine with ballast and maybe a T-bar adjustment.

14. tssmokeya

tssmokeya Junior Member
    from ohio

kollerman- if you didn't get the plow bought i got a 8' boss straight blade for sale. all wiring but ford brackets, joy-stick control. hasn't been used for 2-3 years so it has some surface rust. its in ohio. give me a call 740-225-0505.

15. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member