1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow for Ford F-150

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by kontk, Sep 14, 2011.

1. kontk

kontk Junior Member

Im a 15 year Fisher guy converting to Boss and Im looking to have a Boss plow mounted for my truck. I have a 2007 Ford F-150 with FGAR:3750, RGAR:3800, and GVWR:6900. Extended cab, short bed 4.6L engine. My truck also has a 3" leveling kit installed in the front which are 3" spacers mounted over the front coil springs. I was looking at a 7'6" standard duty steel plow. Most dealers will not mount it due to restrictions of my front end, but I have had a few dealers say they have done it with no problems. I will only be plowing my own driveway (about 500ft) and a couple friends. My questions are: will my truck be able to handle the weight of the standard duty plow? Will there be issues with mounting the frame due to front end being 3" higher than stock? I dont think timbrins will be an option due to the leveling kit, but will the leveling spacers work the same way as timbrins? Balasts will help, but I dont want to have excessive wear on my front end due to the weight of the plow. I also have questions about joystick vs. handheld controller. I have used both on Fisher plows and prefer the joystick, but Boss does not make a dash mount for it. Any preferences as to which one or ideas for mounting a joystick? Oh the questions I have...any advise is greatly appreciated.

2. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

The boss standard duty will be no problem on your truck! I have a sport duty on mine and the truck doesnt even move when i lift it with some weight in the back. I added a leveling kit for this year but I did not even need it. Put like 500 pounds in the back and it will work like a champ. A leveling kit will definitely help though

3. kontk

kontk Junior Member

Thanks for the input. Its actually very helpfull since we have the same truck. Your issue with the plow weight and "floating" over the snow is exactly what I was worried about with the sport duty, but didnt want to overweight my front end either with the standard duty. I had 1 Boss dealer tell me the leveling kit will actually work as timbrins because of how it stiffins the front end. And, I agree..the proper amount of balast weight in the rear is cruical.

4. kontk

kontk Junior Member

By the way Allstar...do you know the FGAWR of your front end?

5. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

It is the same as your front rating. I had a dealer that would put a standard duty on for me but i decided otherwise and i kind of regret it. I wish there was a way to make my plow heavier. It scrapes great forward but backblading sucks!! yes the leveling kit will work almost the same as timbens and it also makes the truck look much better too. once you get the plow put on make sure you let me know how it handles it because i want a heavier plow on my truck. I had 450 pounds in the back of my truck with the sport duty and that was plenty. It was more then probably necessary. I actually have timbrens on my truck still because i put the leveling kit on this year and never took the timbrens off. Maybe youre interested in them

6. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I had that plow on my on my chevy 1500 for 5 years. It held it fine I had bags of salt in the back and it didn't squat much. I know it's not the same truck but still a half ton. As far as controller it's more of a personal preference. I personally run hand held and wouldn't ever have a joystick, but you will also get people that say joystick is the only way they will go. By the way you will love THE BOSS! :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So if you do this IMHO you should use the mid weight, kill the leveling kit and add timbrens and ballast.

8. bossman34

bossman34 Member

I second Bashers post. I would say for limited use your truck would be just fine, I used a ford half ton with a standard duty 7.6 with wings for years with no issues. I added overloads, stiffer springs and rear ballast. Good luck

9. kontk

kontk Junior Member

All good information and thanks to everyone who gave input. Im going to call the dealer again and set up the appointment for the standard duty. I will let you know how I make out. Based on all the input Im seeing, and from what the dealer origonally said, I should not have any problems as long as I use my head while plowing, and use the proper ballast weight. Thanks to all, and any other input is appreciated.

10. kontk

kontk Junior Member

Thanks to everyone who helped me make my decision. I had the Boss steel standard duty installed on my F150 yesterday and I love it. With 340lbs ballasts in the rear, there is only about 1" drop of the front end when raising the plow. No timbrins needed. If I can figure out how to attach a pic, I will.

11. kontk

kontk Junior Member

Figured out the picture thing. Thanks again for everyones help.

0924111514.jpg

12. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Looks Awsome!!!Thumbs Up:drinkup:

13. bossman34

bossman34 Member

I think you made a wise choice, I think you will be just fine and the rig looks great!Thumbs Up

14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We run a 7'6" super duty on the front of our 06 f150 and the same or 8' super duty on the 03 f150... both trucks ran fine without ANY suspension mods. both are short bed extended cabs and plenty of weight in back.

This year the 03 has torsien keys and the 06 has 1.5" aluminum spacers for the front springs so it has more mount clearance over pavement abutments etc.

15. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

You will have no issues, For years I have run 7'6" super duty boss on my 01 F150, Now I run a 8'2" V on the front, weight is very similar.

16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

by your sig you mean the 8'2" v on the f250? the 7'6" sd straight boss isnt no where near as heavy as the 8'2 V lol.

If your running the 8'2" v on the 01 f150, id like some photos :)

we run the 8 footer SD plow on it and its fine too, anything wider and heavier snow will be a problem with pushing ability, anything heavier plow wise is too heavy for the front, since your already a couple hundred pounds too heavy by the book.

17. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

I need to change my signature, Yes I did have a 7'6" superduty straight on the F150, Weight as listed on boss sight is 680lbs. The boss 8'2" V is 770lbs as listed on there sight. there are at least 10-12 guys in our area running the 8'2v's on their F150's. The nice thing, is for travel you don't have one end sticking out extremely far. on my F250'350's were running all 9'2" XT's