1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow fluid question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by kah68, Dec 12, 2010.

1. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I ordered a 4L jug of fluid from a Boss dealer, asked for Boss fluid specifically. It came in a tall black jug with no label on it and it's blue in colour, is this the stuff?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Mmmmm MY Fisher fluid is in a black container and is blue. My Boss fluid (2 years old ) is in black Qts and is red.

I use the fisher oil in both plows
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a substatution the boss oil i ever saw in galion jugs was black jug with a printed label and was red !
  4. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

That what I thought, thanks guys I will be returning this stuff.
  5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I use the blue stuff and have no problems in a boss or meyers plow,
    I can find the blue stuff at about all the local auto part store.
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It should definitely be red.Boss oil should be marked correctly.
  7. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

I had the same issue. When I called my buddy he was told the Dextron 3 ATF is the same as boss fuild. He has used it for years with no issue
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Boss fluid is NOT ATF. The only similarities between them is that they're both red, manufactured from petroleum, and come in a container.
  9. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

^ Forsure ATF and Boss fluid are way different.. dont use ATF in a boss plow.

But the blue fluid...i just replaced all my plows with this stuff instead of using boss this year and its been fine so far- suppose to be comparable and it says its good to -40 F so i dont see a problem using it.
  10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It's got to meet Mil spec 5606 .