1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow fluid change?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by trevier, Jan 29, 2013.

1. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I've had my super trip edge since december of 06, haven't changed the fluid once. On my old fisher i did it every year, should I change the fluid in it and if I should is it easy to do, thanks matt
  2. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

Hi! We do recommend changing your fluid at least once a year. Here is a step by step instructional video to help you out: http://youtu.be/FoD2aqc25Ns
  3. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^^^^^ That's a good how to video of the hydro oil change on the BOSS plow.
  4. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Just curious, why did you change the fisher oil every year, but your Boss is on it's 7th year on the same oil?
  5. trevier

trevier Senior Member

good question, laziness I guess.Have to say my boss has performed better than my fisher did, would I buy another Boss,no. Reason being it's easier to put a back drag blade on a fisher than it is my super trip edge. But I'm done buying plows this one I will run into the ground. My old fisher is still going I sold it to a friend for 500 in the winter of 08 and he still uses it.
  6. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

I thought the reason would be that you thought The Boss would take the abuse!
  7. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Ceptor I was looking for him to say the same lol
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just serviced an older one today that was purchase new in 1996 and had never had a fluid change.

The pump units being in a shielded environment is the primary reason they'll run for years and years on the same fluid with no freezing issues. So generally there's no water/moisture intrusion issues that you can get on other brands that hang the pump unit out in the wind.
  9. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i have to admit i work on these plows every day and push the point of yearly fluid changes. but mine i just changed for the FIRST time this season. my plow is a 2001...yeah i was slacking alittle...
  10. trevier

trevier Senior Member

yup, never thought of that, I'll get to it later this year, I had my old fisher from 96 to 06 and it survived lots of snow. Now that I have my boss so far so good, but this is the 2nd year in a row that we've had ****** seasons of plowing glad that my truck and plow are paid for.
  11. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

can you use ATF?
  12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

In a pinch. But you should drain and use plow fluid whenever you can
  13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Why? Just use the correct BOSS oil, It does not cost that much more to do it right. If BOSS wanted to you use ATF they would have put ATF in it. You can also run SJ engine oil in a Diesel. But it is not what should be in there.
    Now all that said - if you are in a pinch and ATF is all you have, it will work.
  14. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

Don't forget you SAFETY GLASSES while doing this. hahahaha Does any one know where to get that bolt if your's is stripped. I tried to do mine this year and mine is all jacked. I don't know if it was because it was cold out or what but mine is striped so I need to somehow get it out and replace it. It's not totally rounded out but it's getting there. I just need to order a new one and the boss dealer where I bought mine says they don't sell those. WTF!
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

a metal cover gives no protection from freezing temps.
    and it has nothing to do with water intrusion, bad seals do.

if u put a pump outside in a metal box and one without the metal box.
    they both are going to be the same temp.

sorry try again...

use one fluid or the other dont blend them.
    why does boss push hyd fluid because they sell it.

some plow brands sell a repackaged fluif so they can make more money off of you.

some use atf. and most use the same pump......the hyd unit is just configured differentially.

for the most part hyd fluid is a little cheaper than atf
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  16. tooch420

tooch420 Senior Member
    from LI,NY

thats good point, and i concur...but people use atf because its easier to get and typically at local auto parts store. Just a convenience thing.

Can you go back to Boss OEM fluid after using ATF in the plow?
  17. maxwellp

Thank you for contacting BOSS Snowplow. BOSS Fluid, milspec 5606 is a zinc free specially formulated fluid that is commonly used in aircrafts. It is not an ATF. In a pinch, ATF fluid can be used, however it is recommended to change it out as soon as possible. Extreme temperatures may cause ATF to thicken. If you do not have access to BOSS Hi-Performance fluid, there are generic snowplow fluids available. Your local NAPA store should have this. Be sure to get a fluid with a pour point of -50 degrees (blue).

If you have additional questions, BOSS Service can be reached at 800-286-4155 option #2.

Thank you.

Amy Mendini
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

^ you didn't answer his question.
    you just regurgitated info.

of course boss wants you to use their fluid.
    they make money from it.

Your plow will be just fine with synthetic Atf
    all synthetic atf is also zinc free as is most all ATF.
    the zinc was used as a lube.
    A fluid with Zinc will not damage your pump or eat your hoses.

also any Vis 15 hydro fluid will work at the same temps that boss's fluid will.

humm air-craft is subjected to colder temps than the cold pour point of bosses fluid states.

Q if you drive a ford do you only us fomoco fluids?
    if you drive a Ram do you only use mopar fluids?
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  19. maxwellp

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Mine haven't changed but you jumped to , what -50. Now?

My #'s are right from the different fluids mfg.
    Cut and pasted right from their site

No need to drain as the two fluids are compatible.
    That is the reason they say you can use it.

Boss does not use mineral based fluid

You can mix Dino with syentic even