1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow electrical connection problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by merrimacmill, Dec 9, 2007.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I was plowing last week and the plow wouldn't raise or angle. So I kept trying and just drove a little with it down and it started working again. I could still hear the click from the solinoid and the headlights were still on, but the plow did not work. So then I fuigered out that it was the power connection (red and black, two prong connector). So I would unplug it this plug it back in and push it in as hard as I could. This ended it for awhile and then it happened again. Right before this started happening I dieelectric greased it. Dose anyone thing the grease is making the connector slide apart? How should I fix this?

Thanks

2. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Could be too much grease.has happened to me.make sure every thing is clean.try not to wiggle 13 pin plug to much,those pins break easy.I had problems last year like that. after talking to my local dealer on the phone and trying his sugestions,clean clean clean elec connects, and then going to his shop,he said, "you are doing everything right"and the plow worked perfect in his garage,of course.I replace both 13 pin plugs. all works great now.plow is about 6 years old.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The male pins are slotted..right down the center (for the power,plug)(one on the truckside, one on the plow side )
    You can carefully pry them open a little with a small screwdriver.
    This should help.
    keep them coated with dielectric greased to stop corrosion.
    The grease will be pushed out of the way and the contact will be made if they fit together snugly.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  4. concur

ditto with the farmer

but I clean the posts with a rolled up piece of emery cloth
    with some solvent (pb )

then I blow out with air hose

I do the same with the 'female' end

then a modest dialectric grease

btw: the grease I got with my plow (from a place I dont return to)
    does not conduct electricity and was strickly a corrosion preventer
    TF: read the label of your 'grease'

tc

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Correct dielectric grease does not conduct electricity.
    That's why you need a snug connection ,so the metal pins make a good connection.
    So who cares if it does not conduct, if the pins do not make contact the grease is moot..

If IF you want a protectant for your pos-neg plug that DOES conduct electricity, you ca pick up some stuff that can be found in the electrical dept in some larger stores.

The name is right on the tip of my tongue no loss, noloc,.

Well it does conduct electricity and protect but if you are sloppy with it you will have a mess as it does conduct .

6. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

no-lox .

7. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

that's the stuff .... nolox thanks...;)

9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

It happened again today and I just haven't had time the last few days to clean it out. I'm going to try that tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.