1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow downpressure

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hookem_9, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Hookem_9

Hookem_9 Junior Member

I'm looking getting a plow this fall for my truck, and have been looking at quite a few. I noticed the Boss plows don't use a chain for lift, they use a cylinder, does that add downpressure on there plows???

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

nope, snowway is the only one I can think of that has downpressure. could be wrong though

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It's got plenty of downpressure for pushing but not much for backdragging. I wouldn't have nothing else though. :waving:

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I believe he is asking if the cylinder applys pressure to bring the blade down or if it just floats down.

5. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

it should only float on down. I have a snoway and when i use downpressure i have to use another button to make it work. So the plow isn't always in "downpressure" mode, if i put it down it just floats.

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Avalanche,

since there are only a few snoways around here and i havent been able to get a look at one, how does the power unit apply the down pressure? Are you using a 2 way cylinder or is it using a load holding valve to lock the lift cylinder. Just wondering how the blade gets it down pressure..

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

only one company has down pressure snowway

8. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The Fisher HomeSteader also has down pressure.

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

hmm i didnt see it in there product catalog imo i think its a waste of cash for so called down pressure i will take a western or a fisher anytime

10. Joelinnh

Joelinnh Junior Member

I run a snoway and love it. The down pressure is the only way to go when backdragging, UNLESS you have a huge chunk of steel hang off the front of your rig. I run a SUV that is why I choose snoway due to weight. its great with continous pressure

11. plowmatt

plowmatt Junior Member

Sno-Way Down Pressure

Down pressure is an option that can be added to Sno-Way plows, and only Sno-Way plows can have it because it is patented by them.

If you go to the Sno-Way snow plow Web site, there is a page that talks about their down pressure system. They even have a video of its use for backdragging, and an interactive demonstration of how down pressure distributes pressure on the attached vehicle. Apparently, the system can detect obstacles and "float" when it encounters an immobile object so that you don't damage your vehicle.

From what I hear, it's a pretty good system. If I were you I would ask other people who own plows that have the down pressure system. Everyone I know who has it loves it though.

12. plowmatt

plowmatt Junior Member

...No chain on Sno-Way either

I just noticed that the Sno-Way plows don't have a chain either. There's another page on their site that talks all about that.

13. airnet

airnet Junior Member

Boss w/ Downpressure

Boss does sell a unit with downpressure. We currently have a snoway w/ downpressure. It helped a lot when back dragging last year.

14. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

since there are only a few snoways around here and i havent been able to get a look at one, how does the power unit apply the down pressure? Are you using a 2 way cylinder or is it using a load holding valve to lock the lift cylinder. Just wondering how the blade gets it down pressure

It must be a 2 way cylinder; when you activate it with the blade on the ground, you'll notice the front of the truck lift up a little bit.