1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow doesnt lift

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by davidc, Jan 25, 2013.

1. davidc

davidc Junior Member

We have a new power 2011-12, V-xt 9'2" plow. Barely used this first season, it started 2 nights ago being rather slow lifting in straight and scoop , but fine in V position, then I hit a bump or pothole with a shoe, now it lifts just enuf to take the weight off the truck in straight or scoop positions, and at at times today and yesterday it hasn't lifted in V position, altho it is able to now, We've had it in our shop the last few days.
    Its full of hydraulic/ATF fluid
    the electric system is checked and seems ok
    the few solenoids which we figured were pertinent, were checked and are ok.

1. How come it lifted in V position , then stopped , and now does again?
    2. Could my pothole hit have tweaked something enuf to create to much resistance or altered some needed alignment?
    Thanks,
    Davidc

2. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

sounds like the pump itself to me

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. davidc

davidc Junior Member

Thanks, I will look into the Pump.

:mechanic:

4. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I had a somewhat simalar problem today with my straight blade Fisher. I had just changed the fluid & filter in my unit back in November. Sense then I've barely used the plow, mabey once. Now tonight when I first hooked up the plow it wouldn't even lift or angle a bit. Pump would run when I tried to work it and all electrical connections were in order. But the plow would just jerk and not move at all, like the fuid was frozen or something So finally after fussing with it for about 35 minutes it broke free & slowly started to go. Then eventually is was up to full speed. Then after driving around just salting my lots for about 2 hrs with the plow on the truck, I attempted to plow one lot when half way through that lot it once again got really slow and labored just like when I had first got it freed up earlier in the evening. 2 minutes later after using it in slow motion it returned back to normal. W T F? Why is this happening with brand new fuid and filter and no leaks? Could it just be the really cold temps we've been having this week? Any ideas guys?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It should still be under warranty so really you shouldn't touch it yourself, however, if it's a problem to get it to a dealer you can check a few things.

First make sure it's not low on fluid.

Then double check the power cable connections to be sure they're tight and attached where they should be on the truck. Then pull the pump cover and make sure they're not loose on the motor. And while you're in there make sure the motor isn't loose on the power unit. I've run across a few (three actually) that were seeming not correctly torqued during assembly.

If it all checks out to that point get a pressure gauge on it and check pump pressure. Should have no problem seeing 2300PSI if it's correct. But I suspect it's really electrical related (connections, motor etc).

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as there's no ice in the bottom of the reservoir (loosen the plug and check) those are classic symptoms of a dying motor on a DD unit.

7. Snow Commandor

from 07666

DD unit? Just for clarification it's an insta-act unit and it wasn't low on fluid when this happened. Didn't remove the drain plug on the bottum. If it happens again I will have to drain the fluid. I hope its not a bad motor. Thanks.

8. davidc

davidc Junior Member

Thanks, Yup, it is in warranty,..or was, and the dealer is a ways away,.. we probably voided the warranty when we dinked around with the solenoids,..ooops.
    We will look iinto those things you suggest, Thanks again

9. Snow Commandor

from 07666

This morning, with the plow still on the truck it worked fine until I parked the truck for an hr or so. Then when I fired up the truck late morning the pump motor was running and whining but there was no hydro pressure @ all. Once again fluid was not low and all connections were good. I'm thinking my Insta-act hydro unit is caputt! :-(