1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Plow Confusion

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Nascar24, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I'm looking at a Boss Straight Plow without the mounts, i have found a set of mounts , but I'm confused between the RT3, RT3 Sport duty and the RTII, are they all interchangeable? or are they diffrent and can not be interchangeable?

Any thing different with the wiring harnesses? Brand specific? or are they universal

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Basically Jay, you have 3 different series of mounts with a Boss...

An RT1, RT2 and RT3 and that's it...

It's just like a Meyer...you have a Conventional, an EZ Classic, and an EZ plus....
    Or a Western with their conventional, Uni, and Ultra.

And if course none interchange.

The Smart Hitch, and Smart Hitch 2 will be both for an RT3 series mount...(current production)

The harness's are easy too, you have an 11 pin (older plows) and a 13 pin (newer plows), that's it...

The 11 pin was during the non Smart Hitch years and the 13 pin has been in use for many years now..

Straight or V makes no difference either to the harness as their completely interchangeable too..
    All you need to use any harness on any truck is the correct headlight adapters...
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Thanks for the quick info, just one more question if I may?

How do you tell from the plow side which is a RT2 or a RT3? I can see the push bar diagrams and know the RT3 basically has two "C" type hooks, but how does one tell on the plow side?

The plow I'm considering is only three years old if that makes any difference.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The rt2 has fork like mounting on the plow side. The rt3 mount has a c like mounting hook up on the truck side. Here is a link about this same disscusion we had on here a while ago with pics of the RT3 mount on my old truck and my old plow.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since the plow your looking at is only 3 years old then it willl be an RT3.....

To give you an idea of what the plow side looks like on the RT2's, they look similar to a Western Ultra with the 2 forks that stick rearward....

Another easy way to tell on the plow side is an RT2 will have twin lift cylinders, and RT3 will have a single lift cylinder....
  6. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Thanks I think I've figured it out ! lol