1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss plow Basic WIRING Help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by AL THE MAN, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

Hi, I recently purchased a new boss standard duty stright blade plow. I wired everything in perfect but hit a fork in the road.....my turn signals.

the parking lights work fine and both light up, headlamps are also 100%

but evreytime i turn on either turn signals, both of the plow signals flash bright.

when I unhook one of the sinals, neither of them flash anymore

I seen a red wire labeled (dual burn wire placement) and it said on certain modesl and years to ground out, but not my year....

I am stumped please help

My truck is a 04.5 ram 2500 cummins, here are the wiring diagrams for the 03 and 06 year, along with the wiring diagrams to the plow....please let me know what I am doing wrong or if I need to install something (adapter)

they are 3 wire turn signals, I hooked up the pink to wh/tn, purple to wht/lg, and yellow to wht/yellow

Attached Files:

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

soounds like you have the marker and turn wires hooked up backwards, get a test light out and check your work.

3. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

thats what I thought at first, so I unhooked them all and only hooke up the parking light and used a multimeter to test for flash, When hookin up a test lamp, it works fine....I dont know if the plow wiring is a weird wiring up or what, I emailed boss with no reponce yet

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

according to your schematics your hooked up wrong, should be,

truck side - drivers turn blk/vl to violet plowside
    drivers mark lg/tn to yellow plowside
    pass turn pk/vt to pink plowside

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's wired into the truck correctly. Either the turn wires are shorted/pinched together in the plow harness or one of the bulbs is shorted internally. It happens.

Check each turn for correct operation right at the 13 pin connector on the truck side with a test light. If it works correctly there then its a plow side wiring or bulb issue.

6. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

the truck side works perfect, so Im thinking its the plow side...I wish I had detailed wiring from boss, they only give a hook up guide....

I hope the harness is not pinched, Im not sure if there are any relays or breakers for the signals on the plow....

2mrw, im gonna try and rewire everyting slow, but im sure I did it right....prior to connecting I test light'd all the wiring.....Im frigin stumped.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

8. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

thanks basher, the 13 pin wiring diagram will help me....

i got a email back from boss, they said i wired it correctly and that I should check for piched wires or bad connections, bulbs....

I was gonna get to it today, but call of duty came out on xbox so all my free time went out the window....

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So you thought I was lying when I said it? :D

10. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

ofcourse not, I believed you the first time u said it...:salute::salute:

I emaild boss the same day i made the post...

Of all the problems I could have with the plow, I have the most trivial problems and its driving me nuts....everything else is wired in perfect...all hydros, etc...

Lucky me...Thanks for your help b, ill let you know how to hopefull fix goes.

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Sounds to me like its searching for a ground, I have had simular problems with my blizzard lights. Check and clean all your grounds and add a ground from the light bar to the vehicle chassis.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OR bad bulbs, the bulbs in backwards or multiple other things. But doubtful it's a shared ground if other functions are working.

13. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

What is with everyone and this video game?:confused:

14. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

Big thanks to alll you guys who helped me out with this lil problem...JR, Bash, Plow toy, bnb, crash...thanks alot...

I ended up finding the problem....

only after I tore throught the headlight wiring, plow wiring, checking all flashers, fuses, grounds, power wires,...etc.

I ended up taking apart the plastic cover on the plow harness to find a loose wire, and found one on the turn signal relays from the plow harness. The relays wernt even in the wiring diagram....under the cover of plastic and tape, one of the ground wires was ripped and touching the signal wires alot....problem solved...thank god..

15. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

its the greatest 1st person shooter ever made, I think it broke every record for sales ever held by a video game... payup

Its the next generations super mario, with guns. :gunsfiring: :salute:

16. phammer1

phammer1 Junior Member

I was just going to add... you could be like every other idiot on the road and not USE your turn signals! Argh!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.