1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss plans for an expanding plow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RLC LLC, Jan 25, 2011.

1. RLC LLC

RLC LLC Member
    from GR MI

when is boss going to get the idea that hydraulic expanding wings are needed? what is the holdup? i know im not the only one interested, my brand loyalty has helped me wait but i really would like to hear some info.

anyone have inside info?

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Boss knows that hydraulic expanding wings are simply a gimmick used to sell straight blades to people who cannot do simple mathematics.

Everything a a Blizzard or a Wideout does can be done with a standard straight blade with bolt on wings. The hydraulics simply make it more convenient to install and uninstall the wing.

You wanna really move some snow? Get a Vee plow and put wings on THAT. Simple mathematics.
    Do a search for member Alaska Boss' side by side comparison of a winged Boss Vee and a Blizzard. It aint even close.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I have to disagree with the above post. Bolt on wings are nice but hydraulic wings are a better advantage as there is no taking on or off depending on your situation. Hit a switch and your done. That and you can customize your wings on the fly.

Boss probably hasn't made one due to patent rights held by Douglas Dynamics, who owns Blizzard, Western, and Fisher.

4. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

So what is the advantage? The switch? How is the hydraulic system an advantage over a handful of bolts in gross amount of snow cleared?

5. RLC LLC

RLC LLC Member
    from GR MI

we are running boss 8' with the wings, so 10' right now, im sick of getting out of the truck to remove them and also when plowing streets the trailing wing wants to push forward not fan it off the end of the blade. i hate to say it but i might actually look at a blizzard or western for the new truck :(

6. RLC LLC

RLC LLC Member
    from GR MI

versalityThumbs Up

7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

So you wanna be lazy. I get that, but explain the versatility...

8. RLC LLC

RLC LLC Member
    from GR MI

my bolt on wings are fixed, blizzard go forward facing or flat to moldboard, (see above about plowing streets)

and yes im lazy i make money when im IN the truck, not outside playing with my wings.

9. White Gardens

So, you are windrowing. You go one direction and fold one wing on the cutting side in in order to not get trail off on your cutting side.

You turn around, fold that wing in, expand the other to go the other direction.

You want to just strait blade, so you expand the wings out without folding them forward to get a wider cut.

You want to push, so you fold both wings forward to box it in.

You go to a tight lot, flip of a switch and your wings are retracted to fit in the tight areas or parking spots. Get those areas done, turn around and fold the wings forward to push to your piles.

I can go on and on, all day long. Over the course of the storm you would probably save an hour+ in wing switch outs.

I'm not arguing, just saying. The more you stay in your truck, the faster you'll be. That's not lazy, that's good business.

10. RLC LLC

RLC LLC Member
    from GR MI

thank you.

11. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Like I said, I get that part, but there is no productivity increase while IN the truck. Forward or flat to the moldboard, so what? Is this really an advantage, or is it just marketing hype?

Here is the funny part. You live in Grand Rapids, right? The ULTIMATE snow plow is over on 4484 Roger B. Chaffee S.E. in Kentwood.

You can look at a new Blizzard there, too.

12. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Do you HONESTLY think that you CANNOT windrow with that trailing wing in the forward scoop position????

Seriously???

13. White Gardens

You can, but you'll loose a foot or two trying to keep the snow from trailing off. If you keep the trail off from happening, then you'll get a wider path, taking full advantage of your plow per pass. And.... Making less passes will save that much wear and tear on your equipment.

I mean, seriously, not trying to argue, just simple math. I want to be as profitable as possible.

I'm in it to win it!

14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You misunderstood me. I meant the TRAILING wing. When you windrow, you WANT the snow to trail off the moldboard. And we are not argueing, I want you to win it, too.

15. RLC LLC

RLC LLC Member
    from GR MI

i have 1 winged rear in the fleet, and yes it is nice.

im not here to argue productivity, i have made up my mind on the tool needed for the new truck, for the work this truck will be doing i just need to figure out if it will be a boss like the other trucks or if i go to a blizzard to a western.

also with a expanding unit, i can be legal width while on the road. i know for a fact an 11' v is not. one thing for you to consider, my trucks have been pulled over and been checked with a tape before. that is a ticket you really dont want.

16. White Gardens

You can retract the trailing wing. The Blizzard/Western/Fisher system controls each wing individually.

I would have bought one already if I didn't have the central hydro system on my truck. It was going to take too much money and work to plumb in the individual valves for each wing.

Next truck I get is definitively getting a winged plow. Everyone I've talked too said they will never switch back.

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Wow.

It's not 11 feet wide when IT"S FOLDED IN HALF!

Iv'e been checked with a tape measure, too. See, Vee plows have a hinge in the middle....If you've made up your mind, great. But Boss isn't going to make one. It's a ripoff.

18. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I know. I'm asking you why would you retract it? It doesn't gain you anything.

19. White Gardens

Seriously? When windrowing wouldn't you want to push the snow off the moldboard more effectively. Then retract the trailing wing so it's not forward, but you could still keep it expanded out.

20. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Is it that big of a difference? I take your'e talking about wear and tear on the truck? I don't think it's so much that we can define it or measure it.