1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss or western?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Livingreen, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Livingreen

Livingreen Junior Member
    from Indiana

Just looking for some opinion on whether to buy western or boss. It seems alot of guys are running boss. We have western now but need to fit a new truck up. Thought I might see what boss has to offer. Any help or comments / pros and cons Thanks

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I like Boss. Boss makes a quality product. What do you have for a truck?

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check into Sno-Way too. The down-pressure feature is awesome.
    Boss is a good plow too.

4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Have you use boss at all? I thought you where a fisher guy!

Have you use western at all? I sure hope your not supporting a product in-which you have never used!

I ran a western for 3 years and my father has ran one for 10! We have been very happy with it. I have not use boss at all, so i cant preach for performance! They look like a well built plow, its def a faster plow then the western.

I think a little more info would be great, what type of plow straight or v?

5. mercer_me

I've used my freinds Dodge 2500 with an 8' Boss trip edge, and it worked great.

6. Livingreen

Livingreen Junior Member
    from Indiana

It will go on a new f 250. We have used western in the past. But just maybe looking to try something new. Oh yeah v plow for sure

7. mercer_me

8.2' Boss V would work great on a F-250 JMO.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Both great plows but I'd buy the Boss. Boss is a very simple design that works, their Smart Hitch is incredible and so are their hydro's. JMO

9. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

I have the Boss VXT and I like it very well, I also had the Western V plow and didnt have any trouble with it. I do like the Boss hitch system better and also the hydros are much faster

10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Id say if your using western then stick with it. Never used boss im sure they are nice.

11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Well I think you going from westerns to Boss Vs will be like B/W TV to Color.

My Dad has ALWAYS used westerns, for the last 29 years and I just convinced him on a new Boss V and if the smile on his face doesnt tell you how impressed he is then I dont know what it would take. He hasnt got to use it yet but he has a read the whole manual (More of an old man thing, LOL), He has sat in the driveway messing with it and he calls me about once a day to ask me a question about it. Its freaking hilarious, LOL

So IMO, Get the Boss, you will NOT be dissappointed.

12. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

I prefer boss. Hitch system is great, Hydros are fast. You can also take the plow out of float for busting big berms and what not. Western is always in float due to chain design. Both good products.

13. bridge577

bridge577 Member
    from ohio

I have meyer and boss Boss the name says it all When I can afford to switch them all over I will. I have 8'2 boss v plow on f 250 with v ten. third year with it only did suggested maintinance., Live in ohio off the lake it gets used alot. But how close the dealer is and and customer service says alot to.If you can afford it go with the BOSS!

14. cmlawncare99

cmlawncare99 Junior Member

If I were you i would buy a boss vxt 8.2

15. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I have a older Western MVP and if I had to do it all over I'd get the Boss. My Western really hasn't caused any problems but, I think the Boss controller is more user friendly w/ less learning curve. I also believe the Boss is faster in its functions. You have to pay xtra for smart lock cylinders, but they are a "must have".
    I bought a Western for several reasons:
    1. The falacey that u'll have electrical problems hitching it up or locking it up if it has mechanical failure on-site (I believed the argument at the time-not so sure now):confused:
    2. I have more Western dealers in my area-better support.
    3.The Western is 4" wider
    4. You have to pay extra for smart lock cylinders-Western's system (all hydraulic) locks by nature
    5. The rubber snow deflector on top of the blade was an option. It comes w/ the Western
    6. The Western is a trip edge design-far better that the full moldboard trip design
    7. The Western was CHEAPER and I got more plow for the money!
    8. My local dealer jerked me around on price.:angry:
    9.The dealer that sold me my Western installed it on the truck, no questions asked. Again, my local dealer jerked me around b/c I have a diesel, quad cab:angry:
    Hold on, I changed my mind (again) I'm still a Western guy!:D

16. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I ran all Western plows until last year, now I have 2 Boss plows and will slowly switch all of them over.
    Faster and just real simple to work on. The smart hitch is also very slick.

17. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

My last two plow trucks have ran Western straight blades. On this truck I decided to go with the Boss 9'2" Power-V XT. Love the plow.

One of my landscape customers owns a bunch of jiffy lubes and service centers. One of them is setup as a Western and Boss dealer. They all run Boss V's on their trucks (they do plowing), and I had seen them in some of the lots they plow, so I followed their lead and am very happy.

18. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

So how does the Boss V trip in the V or scoop, I would think you would want a trip edge?

19. mercer_me

It doesn't trip in V or scoop, it only trips when the blade is in the straight position. All of the Fisher plows have a trip edge, even the V plow. Maybe you should look into a Fisher V plow if you want a trip edge V plow JMO.

20. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy Member

I have several boss V plows they wont trip in scoop. I have busted two push frames at $500 + and several cutting edges in my years of plowing. Im looking at western now. I have a Hiniker Scoop and its amazing how great it is. Trip edge is the only way to go. Boss better get with the program. and build a trip edge V to stay at the top in my opinion.