1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Western?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 08 2500HD, Sep 21, 2008.

1. 08 2500HD

08 2500HD Junior Member
    from Indiana

I recently bought an 08 ext. cab 2500HD with a 6 liter, and need to get a plow for it. My other trk i used last year had a western 7'6" unimount proplow, which worked great. But now with my new trk i can't decide if i want to get a ultramount, or if i want to switch and try a boss smarthitch 2. Pros cons of the to is what i am looking 4, and the western plow is more popular in my area, don't know if that is a good or bad thing, just looking for some input or suggestions? Thanks:help:

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

good choice.

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

ive only used a western a handfull of times and it was about 5 years ago. so it wouldnt be fair to compare it to what im using now. With that being said, the Boss is the fastest hydros ive ever used on any brand plow, hook up time is very quick and i find it much easier than any of the other brands ive used, and i also like the tripedge which you cant get with western straightblade. Been using Boss plows for 5 years and never once had even the slightest problem.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the Boss v plow.

Looks like there's a new Boss in town!

5. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

go to the boss, its just too easy to take on and off.
    never had a western but i never heard anything bad about them but since I got a boss I really like them

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

GET A BOSS VEE! Personally I would go with the 8'2'' poly. Wont fade like a westerns poly. Also the snow wont stick to it. Always looks new, cause it doesn't show scratches. Get the smartlocks. (dunno if those are a standard feature yet or not? They should be in my opinion.) I love mine. This is the second vee I've owned. I also have a 8 foot straight blade. And I am getting a 7'6'' straight blade for my other truck. 3 total trucks on the road this year. Well 1 part time 2 full time and they all have boss plows on them. I wont run another plow, EVER!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

so far its 4 - 0. .... snofarmer confused me lol

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

o.k. if I have to choose..between the two..it would be.

drum roll...............

get the boss...;)

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My boss went from western to boss 4years ago or so and has never looked back. I like his 9.2 poly v. I'd go boss.

I run a unimount but can't speak for the ultramounts.

10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Get the boss v!:gunsfiring:

11. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

get a fisher

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That's not one of the options.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Go with whichever brand has the best dealer support. If its equal then your biggest differences are whether you want a chain lift or a cylinder lift style plow. And thats simply personal preference. Both are easy to connect/disconnect. The Western Ultra will be a bit easier to connect and disconnect on uneven ground if your storage conditions warrant it.

Both will do the job.

If your going to do the install yourself the Boss will be a great deal easier to install..and will be less expensive at truck transfer time if the situation arises at some point in the future....and if thats important to you.

14. Stove

Stove Member

boss boss boss

15. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Westerns are junk

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I kinda like mine and can't complain about it. Why are they junk NFD?

17. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I used to have a Werstern on my drump truck but i would just say boss for 1. i have never had any problems with mine, 2. I never did like the whole chain allowing the blade to bounce while driving down the raod 3. You can still short chain the boss dont listen to anyone who says you cant

18. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

if it is between those two go with the one you are going to have a better service station that can back you up and service your plow when your down.. cause you i and everyone here knows all plows will brake!

19. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Service is VERY important.... So consider the dealer that is relatively close to you.... -Good luck!

20. 08 2500HD

08 2500HD Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks 4 all the feedback, this site is the ticket for info, so the boss V seems to b a popular suggestion, but got another question? Have heard that those plows r heavy and hard on a trk, and mine is a daily driver, is that correct or no? Also these new trk, when u go to the plow web sites they all say the snow plow prep is required, mine does not have it, anybody know bout this topic also? Thanks again guys!