1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by T-MAN, Jan 17, 2001.

1. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Is it true the newer Boss v-blades dont trip unless you hit a curb? I now alot of you guys bash the boss v but do you own them or just are in love with your fishers? The mvp is a trip edge so if you hit a curb boom right to your frame right? The boss seems to be a bit more heavy duty as well.Pump, moldboard,cylinders. And ive also heard the boss is alot quicker then the western/fisher. We have 2 local dealers who sell both and they claim they havnt had any major problems. I know the western comes with all the bells and whistles. Any way is the boss worth the extra bucks? Or is it the old you get what you pay for.Oh ya I know the boss is not that great at back dragging. Well lets hear it!
    Thanks T

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

No dealers have any problems with the plows they sell.

~And all the plows backed up in their service department are either abused or "too old" (too old is over 2 years from purchase date.)

~Sorry for the cynacism, I'm get irratated by 80% of equipment reps who either don't KNOW or just blantantly scew the facts.

OK, If you plow older lots, many driveway approaches and other areas with un-even pavement surfaces, you're probably better with the Western/Fisher.
    If you plow newer developments, I'm convinced the Boss will last longer.

(I have them both and have used V-Plows since the '80's)

BTW: Boss has made 3 different moldboard designs, each succesive one trips better than the previous. The newest one (circa 1998-2001) trips the best of the Boss.

[Edited by Kent Lawns on 01-18-2001 at 09:47 AM]

3. capital

capital Senior Member

Boss Plows

We only use boss blades, both straight and V-blades. The westerns have a problem with the pins on the hook ups going out. No matter what blade you buy, they all have problems at one time or another. So alot depends on the dealer, IE how fast will he fix you back up to get on the street and will he nickle and dime you to death. Only problem we have been running into on the boss blades is in the electrical connections on the lights. They don't want to seem to keep the moisture out even with silicon gell applied often.

4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I think you can not go wrong with boss, western or fisher thay are all great plows.

5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Just my 2 cents.

We run mostly Boss V's and yes there may be problems(cutting edges breaking,piston bolts shearing,and yes even on our 10'V broke the centerpin holding the plows together).But all in all I agree with which dealer will service you best.Service in this business is the most important thing.You can't wait till tomorrow!
    More importantly is not what make,but straight or V and if you are not using a V you could be losing time and time is Money!

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We have used Boss V's for 11 years now. The first one with the chain hookup was the best one. I think it was because of the amount of play in the hookup, it left more room for moving around when you hit something with it.

They aren't a bad plow, you just have to understand that you will spend more money on one initially and an maintenance/repairs. There will be cracks by the hinge. You will lose some of your angle because the wings twist when you catch something and it doesn't trip. And the center pin will wear out.

At this point I'm pretty sure we will be trying a Fisher next time, probably with one of Dino's edges to see what happens then.

Has anyone tried a new Boss with U edge on it? Has this prevented any of the problems that I talked about?

7. Kent Lawns

We have urethane edges on our plows. It certainly helps with the uneven pavement. We don't think it cleans (scrapes)sufficiently for many sites, so we use steel as well.

You almost have to use steel on accounts without salt.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We have 2 MVP westerns, and we love them. I have looked at the Boss, and the hydros are much faster. The fisher is very similar to the western, but a few differences are there, and IMO make the western a better buy. One is the better angle of attack, allowing for better scraping ability. Another is the brackets for the trip springs are located higher, allowing for more cutting edge life.
    I have had no issue with the pin mounting location"going out"
    In fact I dotn know what that means.
    And no, I have bumped curbs and it didnt not transfere all the energy to the frame, in fact the split design trip edge works very well in keeping that from happening.
    So for me I would recommned the MVP.
    Dino

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Dino,

I think what T-Man is talking about is when the object that you hit is higher than the trip portion of the cutting edge. With a BOSS/Reg Western/Reg Meyer the whole moldbord trips forward and doesn't transfer impact to truck. Where as a Fisher/Western V/Diamond trip edge design works well on obstructions less than the height of the hinge point. If you slam a Fisher/Western V/Diamond into a 10" high curb, you are asking for quite a jolt where a full-trip would be OK and trip right over and absorb the impact.

10. plowking35

from SE CT

Yeah I understood what he meant, its been brought up before, and I will restate what I did then. If you hit anything that high, no plow will absorb it with outn transfering some impact to the truck. I also think that if you hit a 10" curb with a meyer, the plow will be in pieces anyway.
    Unless you are going very slow, no plow of any make or model will absorb that impact.
    Also it will hit at least 1/3-12 way up the moldboard, at that height, the plow will be hard pressed to trip at all.
    Dino

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

No, not fast, I go up to curbs in bucking position all the time. When I hit, I put in Neutral rock back (full trip rebound) and raise over curb, put in Drive, and push till front tires hit curb. Tried this once with a friends Fisher and it really woke me up fast! Didn't damage anything, but it is much more of a harsh impact with the trip-edge type. The perfect plow would incorporate both designs for this reason alone.

12. plowking35

from SE CT

One would have had to plow with a western v to appreciate how unlike a fisher strait plow it really is. With the spilt trip edge design, it trips alot less harshly than a strait fisher.
    Also in our case, with the urethane edge, we have a built in shock absorber, that atkes alot of the abuse away from the truck.
    In fact, raising the plow when approaching the curb isnt needed, it will ride up,and over smoothly.
    Dino

13. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I've hit a 10" curb with my Boss Vee.
    It trips..... but you DO feel it.
    And it hurts.
    Alot.
    Especially where the seatbelt goes across your collar bone.

14. T-MAN

Hey thanks for all the great info guys. The fire sales are starting around here all ready. Im in northern IL and we havnt got any snow in over twenty days so the dealers need to sell. I think the western might be the way to go for my new truck. Its 2001 Dodge 2500 HD Quad Cab. 4.10 gears L.S. and snow plow prep. 360 gasser. Couldn't justify the Diesal.I run an 88 dodge 250 with a 7'6" western now and shes been a good rig.
    Thanks T

15. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I got a packet of info today on the new Boss blades, see they now have a trip edge version of the straight blade? I will be checking to see if they xfer this idea to the vee plow next season, god knows they change their stuff often enough as is.

16. T-MAN

I talked with a salesman via e-mail from Boss about a trip-edge v-plow. He said there is not one in the works for Boss.
    T

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

We had a Boss rep out here the other day,and he said even though the new straight blades are available with a trip edge design,nothing is in the works for the next few years for the V-blades as they were redesigned in 1999.

18. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 Member

I have a Boss 9'2 vee and a western 8' straight. The boss will trip but like John said it trips hard.

The Boss is so much faster the Western it is unreal.

Factor number 2 for me is the Boss dealer is open 24/7 during storms and has mechanics on duty. They will fix any kind of plow but if you have a Boss, from him you go to the front of the line. That pisses off alot of yellow plow owners that seem to be there alot but loyalty does pay.

I think the Boss pump design is better as it is out of the elements a little more.

We dont have Fischers here at all.

Both Western and Boss are good equipment you just have to get what suits your needs.

19. Kent Lawns

New Boss was out in 1998.

If the rest of your post is accurate wyldman, Boss is making poor decisions.

20. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

Well this it the way I look at it with the Boss being able to trip in any position and knowing that you are hitting an object and you can react to it to lessen damage is worth having. I do not see how a Western or Fisher V can trip if you hit some thing dead center in the V position or in V scoupe. I have 2 Boss V at the moment. The First one that I owned I recently sold to a friend that has an Western MPV. They love the Boss over the Western and the Western is now for sale.