1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Western V plow??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by yardsmith, Oct 7, 2008.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

hey guys
    I have 2 Boss plows, & bought another truck that came with a western straight plow. I also have a chance to get a western V plow for a pretty good price. Anyone have a western V before, to know how much difference between that & the Boss V? thanks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

lets see,
    Some will tel you it's all about dealer support.
    If you know nothing about fixing a plow then this may be important.
    Few will be there to help at 3am or on a weekend.

Next this is the bosss forum so we will tell you boss is best.
    Thent the sno-way crew will be by, HI guys:waving:
    and tell you to get a sno-way.

Then you'll get one guy touting blizzards;) will stop by

But realistically the boss is a better choice.
    (I have used western plows before.)
    Why is boss a better choice dependable hydraulics and their fast also.
    They did away with the archaic chain lift that western still uses.
    It is quick and easy to attach and detach from your truck.
    There a very fashionable accessory to any truck..

I think once you go and see both plows in person that you will chose boss.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Hi guys [​IMG] LOL

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get the Boss.

5. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

I had an 03 MVP. It did the job. I did like the trip edge,and the blade would pivot end to end following the contour of the ground.
    I now have The Boss V.
    faster hydros, faster hookups and really like not having a chain lift.
    I like this Boss I have now more than any other plow ive owned.

6. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I dont know a lot about the western, and im just starting to learn about the boss. I have always been a fisher man, but I recently purchased a boss straight edge, and from what little Ive played around with it, it is far superior to any other plow ive used or seen. The hook up is very impressive, the speed is awesome and the engineering is simple, but ingenious. I can not wait to put this plow to the test this winter.

IMHO.....GO BOSS!

7. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Think about where you're getting your "advise" from! This is a Boss room! Duh! Everybody here says Boss this, and Boss that. Just because they've polished a turd doesn't mean it's any better than the crap they've sold before! It's still a turd!
    Do your damn homework and make an educated decision!!! Don't listen to the boss clowns!!! Check out a Fisher Xtreme V Stainless

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

why would we listen to a chain jerker.:rolleyes:

9. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

the only chain jerking going on is Boss selling a V blade with a piss poor design that beats the crap out of you and you truck. Their straight blades are nice but they need to rethink their V plow!

10. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

well we have no fisher in my neck of the woods-parts scarcity, & #2 that would cost more than I paid for the truck! I have to buy good used equipment.
    BTW I was asking those who have had both western & boss. Right now I have boss & meyers (yuck)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your running two Boss V's now why throw a different brand in there (what ever it may be)? One set of spare parts will cover all your plows if you keep the brands consistent. Your familiar with the brand you have and know what to expect if you purchase another...should be basically a no brainer.

Also, if your thinking of installing the Western V on the truck that now has the straight blade you'll need to change 95% of the truck side wiring in order to be compatible with the V.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  12. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

i agree!!! the way that boss v trips is HORRIBLE!!

13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I run all Western V's and have seen the Boss V's in action. Theyre a nice plow, and super fast. I just ordered 2 more Westerns, mainly because of dealer support, and to keep things the same around here.

14. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have a Boss V and a western V. I never used the Western yet, it came on a truck I bought in the spring. The only thing I like about the western over the boss is the trip edge. We will see how the trip edge does out here, alot of people tell me trip edges are no good in this area because of the harder/icyier snow we normally get. I love my Boss V, it works great but I will agree with the Boss haters that it doent trip worth a sh!t. I have taken chunks out of sewer drain covers and there have been times it brings the truck to a dead stop. I still wouldnt trade it for someting else, I know my lots, know where I can go fast and where to slow down.

15. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

go with the boss V.. like b&b said , why change brands when you already have 2 boss plows... i have a 3 year old boss poly v and have had absolutely no problems with the plow, or with the plow "abusing" my truck... :rolleyes:

16. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

You guys are right. The Boss V's trip is pretty earth shaking. I have cleaned the dash off once or twice when my V trips. But, I have also never had to work on my plow. They seem to be built to take the punishment. I have hit stuff hard enough to bring the front wheels off the ground on the pickup. I hate it when that happens and usually the client cost goes way up about then (Unless I'm just being stupid at the time).

17. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

thanks-this is one of the main items I had concerns with; the wiring between the western straight & V. I like my Bosses, but wondering out loud about getting away from digging up manhole covers & clearing my dash board at times (that made me laugh). Yeah I know my route but it still happens lol