1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or western straight plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cash_money, Dec 25, 2004.

1. cash_money

cash_money Junior Member

Boss straight plow or western straight plow? Wat are the differences between theses plows?If i went to boss witch plow trip edge poly or the steel? Dose any one have the standard controller for the straight plow? can i see a pic of it?Do u like the boss plows?Witch would u buy for a 96 ford 250 hd 4x4 351? Wat are the prices for theses plows? If i went to western witch one pro, pro ploy, or pro plus?Wat are prices for the western plows i listed above?Witch plow from western would u buy for this truck?

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I love my Boss. Western makes a good plow as well. I have the joystick and the hand-held for mine. My plow is the steel model. I was going to go with poly but they don't impress me that much.

3. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

I had a Western Poly put on several weeks ago. It's my first plow so I can't give you to much info. With the Ultra Mount you can't find a quicker disconnect, I'm sure. It is VERY easy. I have the toggle type control, was steered away from hand-held type. I was told they tie up your hand when steering and or shifting and tieing to your leg is a problem when you forget and get out etc.. I have plowed light stuff and the last snow was very wet and heavy. Plow works great so far. Your truck could handle just about any 7.5 footer probably, maybe even 8.
    Narrow down what you're looking for. I was looking for a good name, easy disconnect, and a plow for some light commercial work. Expect to pay about $3100-$4000 installed.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  4. cash_money

cash_money Junior Member

ok it's down to the boss 8ft trip edge or the western 8ft pro plus.witch one?

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have either one of those plows but I prefer trip edge plows.

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I would certainly not go with a trip edge. A regular trip is just so much easier on your truck AND you. The only reason to go with a trip edge, is if it is absolutely necessary, like on the V plow. A trip blade is is just so muck smoother on curbs, drains, and other obstacles. Both plows, Boss and western, are great plows. Like I say though, go with a full trip and you certainly won't be sorry.

7. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I must ask this.Your 13 yrs old by your profile,what difference does any plow matter to you?

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like the western ultra

9. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

;) If i were you i would go with the WESTERN Pro Ultramount.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  10. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Good point, I didn't notice you were only 13. Hope you don't get on the street with that thing. :)

11. Haworth's

Haworth's Junior Member

Boss 8' Superduty trip edge

I have the Boss 8' Superduty trip edge. It is hands down the best plow I have ever plowed with. I'm looking at 12 + inches of snow over night and can't wait to get out there. Go with the Boss you will not regret it. Also the hand held control is great and makes plowing easier in my opinion.

12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The Western Pro Plus hands down. Hand controls are sweet, I have that with my Pro Plow. The Western Pro Plus is one hell of a commercial plow. Western finally steped up to the plate with that rig. The Boss trip edge ? why? Full trip in the midwest bro unless your runnin a v. Western v is trip edge, Boss V is no trip :salute: . Well I guess ya might get a "trip" to the hospital for stitches in your head lol.
    Todd

13. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Hard to go wrong with either IMO. If I were buying one of those plows I would have a hard time going away from the ultra mount as good as anything in the industry (if not the best) :nod:

14. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I have a 7 1/2 super duty Boss. This is the only NEW plow I've used, it works great. I really like the cylinder lift on it. It seems to eliminate bounce while traveling down the road. I have used some older plows with the chain lift and I feel you get a lot of bounce and, it seems to me that this would be a bit harder on the front of your truck. Like everyone has said though, you probably can't really make a wrong decision on either plow. Good luck. Breck :redbounce :bluebounc

15. cash_money

cash_money Junior Member

My dad and i are buying a truck this year and he asked me to find which plow to get and i'm almost 15. :gunsfiring:

16. cash_money

cash_money Junior Member

the boss vee plow is to much but i'm tryin to talk him into.My dads work has a 2003 ford 350 with a boss vee plow on it, we have been using that for awile but he want to get plow truck. We might get the boss vee plow :yow!:.I'm gonna go with boss. :nod:

17. cash_money

cash_money Junior Member

It's between these two trucks..The red one is a 1992 250 diesel with plow and dump $11,000, but has some rust.And the green one is a 1997 250 hd 351 (5.8L) 7,000,it's clean man no rust. Ithink a boss 8'2 vee would look good with the green :yow!: :gunsfiring: .My dad is lokkin away from the red one cause it already had plow on it, and he don't know if the last owner did with it.Would be nice to have the diesel but the green one is nice so we might go with it.

18. cash_money

cash_money Junior Member

the green one...

19. cash_money

cash_money Junior Member

4102.jpg

20. cash_money

cash_money Junior Member

.........red truck see if it works...............................................................