1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or snowdogg

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigkid, Aug 24, 2014.

1. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

Well after several years being a member and enjoying every minute of it I now come to you with a question of my own. This is my first post so I apologize if it's not in the right place. I have been plowing snow for over 20 years. My last plow was a boss 8'2 poly V. Had the plow for 10 years of commercial use and besides maintenance my only problem was a bad smart hitch switch. I sold the plow and took a year off because I was relocating. I am getting back into plowing this coming winter so that mans a new plow. Of course my first choice is a boss, but after calling all the local dealers the best price I got for an 8'2 poly dxt with snow deflector was 7300.00 installed. None of the local dealers are open 24hrs during the storm. I then called the guy I buy all my truck accessories from. He has been selling snowdogg plows for 3 years now. He is a distributor and is open 24 hrs during the storm. He claims he has only had a few minor problems and nothing that left a plow inoperable. He sells roughly 25 a year so that sounded promising. He then tells me the price for the 8'6 VXF. 4849.00 installed. I was blown away by the price difference. So after all that it brings me to the reason for my post. What is everyone's experience with the snowdogg ? I know first hand boss is a great plow but is it worth almost 2500 more than the snowdogg. Between the dealer support and the price I am leaning towards the snowdogg but it's hard to walk away from a brand that has been so good to me in the past. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hopefully basher will chime in. But if the snowdogg dealer is ,24/7 That sounds good to me.
    What I could suggest is to kick the tires so to speak look at both and feel them out for now

3. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

I'm a die hard Fisher guy, but my buddy has a Snow Dogg and that thing has held up as well as my Fisher and still looks great! I say go with the Dogg, besides that possitive pressure crap on the boss sometimes sucks when you need that plow to float. I hope your choice is one you can make a ton of cash with!!:redbounce Have a great year, looks like it may be a white one!:jester:

4. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

Snowdogg

I am fighting that same issue as well bigkid. I am a died hard western plow guy that all I have had. My buddy is a snowdogg dealer and he said they are great plows and a lot cheaper then the others. No major issues with them he said.
    Im still afraid of the unknown LOL

5. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

I have always been one to look at dealer support first and then price. I purchased my last boss plow from a dealer that was 30 minutes away and was open 24 hrs during the storm. The boss was more than the other brands at the time but not by much so I purchased based on dealer support and never had any regrets. I know I would have great dealer support if I go with the snowdogg but I was spoiled by the boss quality and I don't want to take a major step backwards in terms of plow quality. I guess what I am trying to say is with the boss I had the best of both worlds, dealer support and a quality plow and I would like to keep it that way with this purchase as well. I just don't know enough about the snowdogg quality so that's why I am here. To hear that a snowdogg is holding up just as good as a fisher is the kind of feedback I am looking for. Please keep the feedback coming. I promise to reward all that help with plenty of pictures once the new toy, I mean plow is installed.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You're not taking a step back going to snow dogg. My next one will most likely be their vxf

Boss is ancient anyway. Lol

7. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

snowdogg

I was looking at a vxf or xp

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a Fisher guy as well and that being said I would go with Boss. Your last one held up for 10 years so why switch now? Dealer support is great but remember, you get what you pay for.

9. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

snowdogg

I hate to say it but no one has anything bad to say about snowdogg.

10. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

BigKid,

My advice is probably going to leave you even more undecided, but let me tell you my experience so you get where I am coming from. I started offering snow & ice management services back in 2006. At that time, I was an auto mechanic and went to a customer from the shop that I worked at that owned one of the 3 local upfitters in town since I already had a rapport with him. He sold Meyer. I ended up with a CP-8 (8' poly straight blade). I used it commercially with almost no problems up until 2012 when I bought a new much bigger truck, and therefore needed a new, bigger plow. In the six years since I had started plowing, BOSS really gained a huge following in my area, and so it seemed like everywhere you looked, you saw a red plow on most all contractor trucks in town.

So I went to the local upfitter in town that sold BOSS and priced a plow through them as well. I might add that the BOSS dealer was the upfitter that built my new truck, (the Meyer dealer didn't do Swaploader hooklifts), so I now had a rapport with both dealers. I ended up sticking with Meyer because of the great success I had with my first plow. Needless to say, I had nothing but problems with my new Meyer 9' Lot Pro with adj wings. So after one year with it, I opted to unload it and last year, I got a Meyer 10.5' SV-2. Again, nothing but problems last year and now I hate Meyer and regret ever going with them. Incidentally, the Meyer was more expensive than the BOSS, but I opted to stay with what I knew. I'm now looking at switching out of my Meyer and over to BOSS.

My point is this, since you said you relocated, I would suggest that you look at what everyone else in town is running. If the majority of them is running a certain brand, there must be a reason. Even if it is a brand sold by a dealer that isn't 24-7, maybe they are all having good enough luck with them in that region that they don't need 24-7 attention. Go with what your gut tells you, I was really leaning towards the BOSS when I shopped 2 years ago, but talked myself back into the Meyer and now beat my head against the wall every storm when I drag the SV-2 out to mount up.

HOPE THIS HELPED.

11. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

I agree that boss makes a great plow. What I am going over in my head time and time again is are they 2500 dollars better especially when you combine that with the fact that the snowdogg has the better dealer support in my area. As someone else already said, I can't find anyone that has anything bad to say about the snowdogg. Decisions Decisions

12. BIGGB9

BIGGB9 Senior Member

Snowdogg

I keep thinking stick with what you know and what makes you money and don't look back. Im staying with western they never let me down why would I let them down by going somewhere else.

13. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

Derekslawncare- now I am even more confused.... Just kidding. I get what you are saying about going with your gut. My gut is saying give the snowdogg a try but as another poster already said, the dreaded unknown is making me pause and collect more feedback from past and present snowdogg owners.

14. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry, I really WASN'T trying to be difficult. Just reiterating the old saying, "Go with your first instinct, it is usually correct."

15. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Having owned a snow Dogg vx 8.5 first then a snoway, and now a boss I have some input. Snowdogg when it worked was a decent plow. Key word was when it worked. They had some lift ram issues that wasn't resolved until they figured out that was the issue. They redesigned the valve body due to it but people still had issues. Ended up being the packing material in the lift ram.

I was one that got the whole hydro and tower replaced which was something that occurred trying to resolve the issues. I needed one more new lift ram due to the same issue. Don't know if they still have issues with that.

After that it was the original plugs that started to blow out in the valve body. Pain in the butt.

The harness plugs are stiff and had issues of pins coming out of the plug. Wiring compared to other brands seemed cheap.

I didn't have issues with headlights but others had.

Mounting system works but the boss set up is way easier and no jack.

Boss doesn't have the hydro issues as its a proven set up. Wiring and controllers seem to hold up better with the boss. The current boss headlights are nice.

Company support/warranty snowdogg was above and beyond. Did great backing there product. Boss I don't know as I haven't had issues.

Dealer support is an important part of what to buy. But if you stock some hoses, fluid, and a solinoid you shouldn't need over night support. But it's nice to have.

Resale on the snowdogg was hard to do. Not many people looking for them, but a younger guy bought it.

The snoway megaway v plow was junk for the most part. Down pressure was nice but burnt out cutting edges quick. Hard to sell also.

Decided to go all boss last year. Bought 2 used boss 8.2 v, one 8.2 v off a dealer lot truck, and a dXT in stainless last year. Couple springs and a hose was my main issues. All stocked parts in the truck.

The nice thing with boss they are interchangeable with ease. Also if a plow does go down you can find a used one really quick to mount to with a couple grand.

16. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

Wow, that's a lot of issues to have with the same plow. If I had that many issues I would be wishing I would have stayed with boss. I know all plows have their issues but that is way to many. I would assume everyone doesn't have that many problems or buyers would be in trouble

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If you're making any real money plowing I don't see the need to fuss over a $2500 price difference for a better product that should last 10 yrs at least. Not to mention the success you've had with your first Boss plow. I never really understood the dealer open 24/7 deal because I have always made sure I had a backup vehicle or two to jump in if anything happen to my primary plow vehicles. Most breakdowns with plows can be fixed with spare parts you keep on hand or buy the emergency kits that are sold for each brand. Heck with the internet you can diagnose a problem in no time, this site is great for that.

I've had a Boss V for 16 years and it's broke down twice...once for return spring on the wing (fixed at my shop with a spare in 15 min ) and once for a new plow side plug in (fixed next day at dealer in 1 hr ). That plug lasted 10 years but went bad from a few guys pulling it off by the wires instead of the hard rubber shell.

So my vote is for Boss, but it's a biased vote.

18. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Buyers as a whole is a huge company. Since they started the plow side 6 or 7 years ago I'm sure there sales are growing get but the growth would of been much greater if they didn't have the issues in the beginning. They have the money to push it in the market.

Do a search for "snowdogg vx issues" that will isolate it just to the v plow issue and not the salt Dogg controller issues. There are many like mine that had the similar issues. It wasn't a isolated plow. The lift ram was across the whole line. Wiring is the same also.

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Many hours on mine and not a single problem. There were problems when they first came out but have since been resolved. That whole "you get what you pay for" argument that someone posted above is B.S. Since Snowdogg is the new kid on the block they are simply selling them for a little less to break into a larger market share. Their quality is the same as or better than the other manufacturers. Look at the gauge of steel used compared to others, the size of the lift ram, etc...

I think dealer support is number one. Add that to the fact that it's a 2,500 dollar price difference would make it a no brainer for me.

20. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

Thank you to everyone that has replied so far. I just wanted to touch on a few things I saw mentioned in the replies. I know snowdogg plows had some issues in the beginning. I called buyers a few weeks ago and talked to one of their engineers. He never tried to hide anything and told me about the issues they had in the beginning and what they did to fix those problems. I know they made changes to wiring harness, lift ram packing and headlight plastic housing. Based on feedback from local installer as well as members on this forum I feel confident the initial design issues have been resolved. As far as dealer support I think it is very important, especially when your a single man operation such as myself. I don't have a big heated garage to make repairs during a snowstorm and I only have 1 truck so no backup their either. I always make sure I have a newer truck and plow for these exact reasons. Warranty on truck and plow as well as dealer support for both. With all that being said I will never disagree that boss makes a great plow. If dealer support was equal and price was close I would go with the boss no questions asked. In this case dealer support and price are both on the side of the snowdogg. I just have a hard time parting ways with a plow brand that has never let me down. As you can see I am still very undecided but I hope that changes in the coming days