1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Sno way?????

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DanU, Dec 30, 2008.

1. DanU

DanU Junior Member

I have two used plows offered to me for the same price. One is a 2002 RT3 8'2 V-plow Boss with smart lock cylinders or I can buy a 2005 9'1 stainless Sno Way with the down pressure feature.

Does anyone have advice or will they both be reliable?

I do have both dealers close.

2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

what type of plowing, and whats the price? also do you have pics by chance. personally i automatically leaned toward the v but it is a few years older, the sno way is newer but its probably a straight blade so id still go with the v as long as it is in decent condition.
  3. DanU

DanU Junior Member

I'm sorry....they are both V-plows. I have seen both but no pics available They are both selling for 3700.00. I am mainly doing residental plowing. Thanks for any feedback!
  4. LawnProLandscapes

as long as the 9'1 sno way in that case will fit in your driveways your doing i would go that route then. the down pressure will be awesome for backdragging. a couple places i sub at have a couple loading docks that have to be backdragged and the boss sucks for that with any amount of snow. also the price for the boss being that old is on the high side. last year i paid 4200 for my 9'2" poly from a dealer installed and it was only 2 years old. i change my vote to the sno way in this case.
  5. Johnnay Boy91

Johnnay Boy91 Member
    from MASS

sno way i dont like boss V plows they have a problem with the A frames snaping in half other than that they are nice plows i work at a boss dealer and have had 4 v plows in the past 3 day come in with the a frame snaped in half
  6. LawnProLandscapes

yea and im sure that had nothing to do with operator error :dizzy: ive yet to see one come into the dealership i help at that was junk that wasnt because of user error.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He also works at a Boss dealer, so I'm sure the Fisher dealer fixes more Fishers then other plows. We've never snapped an A frame and the V I just sold was a 98. But listen to John Boy he knows.:rolleyes:
  8. DanU

DanU Junior Member

Everyone thanks for all the input. I'm going to give the sno way a try.

Thanks again for all the feed back
  9. boonman

boonman Junior Member

If down pressure is the only concern, go for the boss. I designed and built a downpressure system for Boss RT3 hitched plows. Completely electronic. 45 minute install, and you have the best plow on the planet. I hate sno ways attachment to the truck. So, I devised the downpressure setup. I recommend the Boss. And as mentioned, I have yet to see an a frame snap. I have seen wings get torn off V blades in an accident and the a-frame is still splendid.
  10. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

boonman, more info on the down pressure for the Boss plow (pics,info) thanks
  11. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you would do to add down pressure. Can you shed some light on us? Thanks.
  12. boonman

boonman Junior Member

The pump is already capable, and plumbed with a double acting cylinder on RT3 Smarthitched plows. I simply designed a circuitboard, with a few relays to control arming/disarming of the unit so that it can be controlled with the Boss controller once the system arming switch is on. I have it currently running on two trucks, it's the wait on components, and breadboard to build them. But, preliminary testing has been very good! It is a small enclosure, 3"x2"x1", that goes under the dash, with a 5 wire hookup. One wire has to be wired to the plow assembly itself, the other connections are under the dash. Although, there is one relay that has to be wired in under the pump cover on the pump assembly itself. Basically, it operates like this: Flip the "arming" switch to the on position.. Pull into where you want to back drag, press the "down" button on the controller. The system takes over from there, and engages the pump, and diverts hydraulic flow to push the plow down and create downpressure. Pull the snow back to where you want, and the first press of the "up" button on the controller disengages the system, and you then re-gain normal function of the plow, untill you hit down again, which will go to downpressure, as long as the system is "on". It is still in development, but may be released if I can locate the parts cheap enough. They are pretty expensive. It is a very simple setup, and works nicely, and cures the decision of plows being based on downpressure alone. And while Boss frames have been seen to crack, (as another poster mentioned) one should check their equipment over periodically to notice things such as cracks/cracked welds before they become a problem.