1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Meyer ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 3311, Sep 25, 2009.

1. 3311

3311 Senior Member

Have looked at both.The Boss V XT and the new Meyer V2. Does anyone have any good input on these plows to help me decide?:rolleyes:

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The boss is a proven design, lots of happy users. The Meyer is a brand new unit with little or no track record, so its still an unknown.

3. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

x2 for the boss. A very proven plow. while meyers looks decent from the pictures I saw the other day it is still new. IMO its a hands down choice

4. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

x3 for The Boss. The shop i get my stuff from is owned by a guy ive known since high school. He always give it to me strait. He sells Meyer and Boss. Told me he likes the Boss plowes better than the Meyers but LOVES selling the Meyers because in the end he makes more off a guy who bought a Meyer, caues that guy always comes back for parts and repairs.

He also told me the most common replacement part on The Boss is the plow stand, people forget to put them up after hooking up the plow and rip them off.

If you buy a Meyer, buy the emergency parts kit, you will probably need it. We still have some meyer stuff, and replacement parts and tools in the truck for them.

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

:nod::nod::nod::nod:

6. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

I have heard great things about the boss xt go with it

7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

The Boss is a good choice, but so is the Meyer, as far as the Meyer V2 being new..... its been around for 30 years! Yup this blade design was Diamonds original V plow, very sturdy, great lateral strength which is the weakest point in everybody else's design. The lift and push beams are the very durable and popular MD hitch system, which is the most economical to upfit to your next truck. The pump is a much more dependable pump than on Meyer's last offering of a V-Plow. I expect those who are pushing with a V plow will be taking notice in a few years when these already proven blades will still be straight and there's may not be. If you want to really get the low down on these blades, ask the guys in Maine who are still using the old Diamond V-Blades, there probably tell you that they have seen several hanging off of Minute Mount lifts!

Good luck with your choice, either way you can't go wrong.

Jay

8. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Im going to go with.... The BOSS

9. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

bossssssss.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I was going to write something silly about the Meyer being a pretty yellow color, but instead I'll share some observations. Hinge design. I have a Fisher XV. IMO the weakest point of a Vee plow is the hinge. I would add my opinion is fairly valid, in that my hinge failed, and I personally know a dozen guys who's XV hinge have failed. Fisher had a good, solid hinge on the EZ-V. Not real sexy, but dependable. When they switched to the XV, they went to the Western MVP design. Not good. Do a little searching or reading if you have doubts. I looked a Boss V-XT over this summer. Immediately, the hinge was obviously far superior. Not a little better, mulch better. This is an observation backed up buy guys here that have Boss V-plows. No hinge issues. The new Meyer hinge looks better than the XV, but it doesn't compare to the Boss. At least not in the pics. Also, the Meyer uses a rubber piece between the blades at the cutting edge. Everyone else has gone to formed steel.

People have their own opinions on which brand is best, worst, reliable, garbage, etc. Most of these opinions are formed by folks that have only owned or used one brand of plow. I have not owned either a Boss nor a Meyer, so I won't comment to that effect.

At least you are checking around before buying. I wish I had done that.

Happy shopping, good luck.

11. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Unless I missed it, I didn't see this question posted in the Meyer area....leads me to believe you are pretty close to making up your mind.