1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Meyer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dans43, Sep 21, 2012.

1. dans43

dans43 Junior Member
    from Bethel

I'm purchasing my first plow, I've looked at all the majors and I'm down to Boss & Meyer. I like the Boss a little more but Meyer has a 0% financing for 36 months. Any feed back on either is appreciated.

2. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

I have been plowing with my Meyer blade for years now and have nothing bad to say about it. Will be purchasing a new Meyer after this season. I am one of few in my area that runs a Meyer but they will all say that I am out there every storm with no major issuses.

Can't give an opinion on the Boss since I have never used one but I am sure this thread will spark up plenty of people for both sides.

What Year, Make, Model is your truck and what type of jobs will you be doing will also aid in a decision.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss v plow.close this thread!;)

4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

grandview is 110% correct. your comparing like the best plow company and the worst plow company

5. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Which is why we don't use the Boss :laughing:

Just messin with ya

6. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

if you tryed one you wouldnt go back, its so nice not having the blade go flying when you hit bumps. and the mounting system is great

7. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Have thought about it a few times but a V-plow wouldn't benefit us enough to get one. Hey I can't knock Boss since they out sell every other plow company. Numbers don't lie. We just use what works for us.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You know Boss is good,even GP has seen the light and dumped his Curtis.

9. dans43

dans43 Junior Member
    from Bethel

2001 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 liter gas 4800lbs front end

10. dans43

dans43 Junior Member
    from Bethel

my other concern is the Meyer is 822 lbs, about 185 more then the boss. the meyer dealer told me they make adjustments to the torsion bars and suggests at least 400lbs of weight in the bed. is this normal? the Boss dealer didn't mention any of this.

11. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

Very normal to crank the -t-bars up and add ballast. You should probably do it with either plow. I have a poly Meyer, and while it still works 15+ years later, I won't ever be buying another one. There are way too many other plow manufacturers that are WAY better. Just my $.02.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need to check out the new Meyers, it ain't your daddy's snowplow.

I know of someone that could literaily run any plow out there has them all right there available in the shop Boss, Western, Snowdogg, Meyer, etc and he uses the the new Meyer Vees.

13. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Fisher XLS......Now close the thread...I will run over your Boss "V" and pooped it out....:eek:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  14. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

I agree...Meyers has come a very long way....Its a nice plow.....Thumbs Up

Other than financing why Boss or Meyer.....Are those the only 2 dealers...Dealer support is key in a new plow.....Meyers, Boss, Fisher, Western, Blizzard, Curtis, Hiniker,Snowpuppy....are all good plows.....:nod:

15. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

My Meyers plow worked, But my boss V is the best plow I have ever used !!

16. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

My Boss worked sometimes....................My Fisher XLS is the "Best" plow i have EVER used.....:laughing::laughing:

I just love Boss owners.....Blind Loyalty.....:laughing:

17. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

nobody wanted to hear about the fisher.... check thread title:laughing:

Ive used a meyer straight blade for years, switched to a Western (hd blade but the wiring harness is junk) then back to meyer with the MD-II hitch.... Last year I saw the light and bought a Boss poly VXT. The Meyers have held up great but the last couple years coil valve issues and faulty lighting on the plow have plagued me. I wouldnt call last year a test for the BOSS but the v plow has cut my time by 1/3 at least vs the meyer straight plow in the few plowable events.

I cant comment about the new meyers or their v plow but it also comes down to Dealer Support.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  18. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

:laughing:.....Agreed...Nobody wants to hear the truth the Fisher is the "Best"...(all you Boss owners this is a joke so calm down)....

Maybee there should be a hybrid of the Meyers and Boss and we can call it the Meybo...Birdseeded can fab one up for us......Thumbs Up

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The manufacturer has nothing to do with it, any vee will be faster than a straight blade.

But it's not the Vee that creates the speed in most situations it's the scoop configuration.

Hiniker's Scoop plow is as efficient has the vees with out all the hydraulics. They just won't work as well for drift country.

For most snowplowers the clean up advantages of the scoop is what provides the efficiency.

The box wing plows (DD's expanding triplets or Snoway's R series) are even more efficient and better snow movers in the straight blade configuration.

20. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

JT I was just giving you a hard time. Thumbs Up

Basher you're right the v is a different animal than a straight blade. I looked into the Blizzard Power Plow but after reading the dealer support issues and my local meyer/blizzard dealer being arrogant I decided not to go there.

If we had a fisher or western dealer around I would have considered the XLS or Wideout.