1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss or Meyer Poly Blades

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TRITONSNOWREM, Sep 14, 2001.

I'm considering buying an 8' poly plow this season for a 2500 series chevy. Would like to know if anyone has purchased and used a Boss or Meyers ploy blade. I'm concerned about backdrag and durability.

Triton Snow Removal
    Woodstock, Illinois 60098
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I own both.

Sold most of my Meyers by now, but still have 2 left: 1 CP-8 and 1 STP-7.5.

I prefer the Boss plow altogether, either straight or V, my personal opinion is that Meyer isn't as HD or well-engineered.
  3. ddm

ddm Member

I wouldn't own anything but a poly plow again. I've had both Western and Meyer and loved them. I had a truck I bought a couple years ago that had a Western Pro Plow already on it, and after a month or so I bought a poly skin to cover it with. Nothing sticks hangs on to a poly. Boss I hope is the same.
    I just ordered a 9-2 poly V for a 2500HD chevy but from everything I hear I shouldn't be disappointed. Used units are always buyer be ware as far as I'm concerned. As far as back blading I never saw any difference between steel or poly. Usually the poly units actually weigh a few pounds more. I don't think you'll be unsatisfied with the poly choice.:)
  4. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Guest

BOSS definately the poly is the best nothing stick to it, super fast turning, bright lights, built tuff nothings better than a boss!!!

5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a boss 7.5 sd steel and think it back drags better than any plow I have ever used( fisher, meyer,western) and stacks better too. Also meyer don't seem hold up as good as boss, fishers and western do. but I do think they have a good paint job and a very good hydro system.
  6. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I would think it would be advantageous to have a steel plow and put the poly "skin" on the steel plow. This would give the advantages of poly with the rigidity of steel. Anyone have other thoughts on this?
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Thoughts do vary on this, and there is co. that makes a poly skin for plows.
    My only concern would be corrosion trapped between the two surfaces, causing rust through.
  8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

If installed right that really won't be a problem Dino. I did it on an old beat up steel plow that was rotted so bad it actually had a few holes in the mold board. Adding the plastic for + or - $60 and an hour and half of effort was worth it & gave me another season out of a plow that shouldn't have been used really. The plastic really deflected snow well versus the years before where lots of snow would build up in the holes & knicks. I would drive down the road with a big wall of snow stuck to the front of it. The real poly plow I had was a great plow too.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Well this will sound weird coming from a Sno-Way rep, but in my opinion you can't go wrong with a Boss poly plow. I look at a lot of plows in the market place and if you have narrowed between Boss or Meyer, and you have the truck to carry a Boss poly, then I would have to side with the Boss plow on this one, just my opinion but if you have the opportunity to view both, you will see what I mean. Not saying Meyer doesn't build a good plow, but construction differences are big.
  10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have never used a Boss and am unsure about the Hyro system. I here it is fast. I know that the one Meyer I have has an Diamond (Meyer) E60H and I love that powerpack. Better then any Fisher I have even the Insta Act in my opinion. The E60 is simple and seems easy to service. It is fast and has low amp draw. Now I beleive that Fisher makes the best plows out there, but if I was ever to assemble a plow from different manufacturers I would use the E60 Powerpack with the Fisher Blade.